MY NEW NIHONTO SHOWED UP TODAY.

bmoore1322

Okay i had this posted in another section just for viewing of the smith's signature.

I have the sword with me, came in the mail today, and wow, I really love this sword.

Here are some pics of it, the Tsuba looks all hand carved , not cast, as there are no cast marks at all, the wrapping on the tsuka is in perfect condition, the fittings are different then my other Showa fittings, as this was fitted with combat fittings, as one member said this might have been an family blade taken into combat, as it is an Wakizashi blade in a full size Tsuka, and only one pin hole, so this tsuka must have been made for this sword, as it fits the blade like a glove, perfectly.

The blade is signed by Bichu No Kami Tachibana Yoshihiro and has a Kiku on the back of the nakago, the blade is 21" long, The hamon is choji, so I think so from my books, and I can see Hada in the blade as well.

The Saya leather cover had a little surprise I was never told about, it has an American name written on it in pen, as I think that it might have been the GI that brought it home, and the inside of the leather cover has Japanese Kanji, which hopefully would spell the Japanese soldiers name, I cannot read Japanese, so I'm hoping another member in here can tell me what it says.

The blade is need a of a good full polish, which I will be having it done.

I added some pics I never had before, so I hope you all like it.

thanks

Brian

post-3540-14196838041836_thumb.jpg

post-3540-1419683804451_thumb.jpg

post-3540-14196838046237_thumb.jpg

post-3540-14196838047862_thumb.jpg

post-3540-14196838050273_thumb.jpg

post-3540-14196838053464_thumb.jpg

Yes, I am very happy with this one.

It will be getting a full polish on it, I really like the Tsuba, I didn't at first, I was more interested the blade, and when I saw the name, and Kanji on the leather Saya cover, that really made my day.

Here are a couple more pics of the Tsuka.

thanks

Brian

post-3540-14196838062191_thumb.jpg

post-3540-14196838063489_thumb.jpg

post-3540-14196838111962_thumb.jpg

Brian,

Can we see pictures of the blade? See if you can 'light up' the hamon and take a photograph.

Bitchu Yasuhiro has a very characteristic choji midare hamon. Concentrate on comparing the workmanship in the blade to known good examples. Franco provided good examples. Googling should turn up more.

Matt

Here are the best possible pics of the Hamon I could get, The blade is need of a good complete polish, which she will be getting.

Some are with the flash, and some are not and i took the pics on top of the air hockey table in the rec room in the basement, because of its white top might have helped.

Either way I'm really happy with it.

Trust me, it is still very sharp where I was was holding the blade where the Habaki would rest, as I was turning the blade to try and get some good pics, I split my thumb open pretty good.

I would still love to know what the Japanese Kanji says on the inside of the leather Saya cover.

Thanks

Brian

post-3540-14196838142997_thumb.jpg

post-3540-14196838148994_thumb.jpg

post-3540-14196838150391_thumb.jpg

post-3540-14196838151912_thumb.jpg

post-3540-1419683815339_thumb.jpg

post-3540-14196838154887_thumb.jpg

Hello Brian!

Nice wakizashi! Do you have a sword maintenance kit with an uchiko ball? There seems not to be any deep rust, so cleaning the blade repeatedly but gently with uchiko might make the hamon a bit more visible. Please be careful with your fingers, it is easy to cut oneself when wiping the uchiko off.

There are subtle but significant differences in the signature when compared to the 1st generation Yasuhiro (all the links given are examples of the 1st. gen.), but there were also 2nd and 3rd generations, so I wonder if this could be a blade by either of them. Unfortunately I cannot find oshigata for the later generations.

post-1060-14196838156651_thumb.jpg

BR, Veli

@ Veli.

Yes there are very little differences in the two, very little, and I think that could be that carving your name with a chisel into metal would not be exact every time.

I think I read years ago, that sometimes sword smiths had assistants , and may be they would sign his name into the blade for them, just like secretaries today would do for their boss'.

Not sure if that is true or not.

I will use my cleaning kit and see if it helps.

Brian

Brian,

Thanks for sharing pics of the blade. Given the condition it is hard to make an exact comparison. From what I see (which could be a stretch since we are looking at pictures of an out of polish blade over the internet), your hamon does look to be some version of choji (or gunome). However, the choji do not look as clustered as they do in some of the examples by Yasuhiro we see. I will concede that most of the examples you are going to find on here, in person, or eslewhere on the internet are likely of the first generation. But they should be a guide to the type of workmanship exhibited by Yasuhiro. Keep digging and researching (and reading)!

Matt

post-951-14196838160952_thumb.jpg

Like you advised to do I gave it a good cleaning today, and yes it did help bring out the Hamon, I took this pic earlier, and red outlined the best I could do.

@ Matt, yes I think it does look the same, I did the best with the red out line, but in person it does look the same in the pic you posted.

Brian

post-3540-1419683818793_thumb.jpg

Brian,

That looks better. Here are some questions for you:

1. What activities can you spot?

2. What does the boshi look like?

3. What does the yakidashi look like?

4. Can you show us pictures of these?

Best,

Matt

Brian, looking at the nakago of your Yasuhiro and the placement and overall "feel" of the mei's carving, I'd bet money on this sword being right for shodai Yasuhiro. The hamon also looks as it should for Yasuhiro. Being of the Ishido group, he was copying Bizen hamon in this case which greatly resembles Ichimonji hamon. I would suspect there will be utsuri showing after a 1st class Japanese polish. I once owned a signed Yasuhiro which, if memory is correct, was more of a suguha, but these smiths did both suguha and the Bizen choji style hamon. An interesting mumei (unsigned) katana here (found in mint, high quality naval kai-gunto koshira, mon on menuki, etc.) displays a similar hamon. Before shinsa, it was thought to be shinto, Ishido school work but others felt it was actually Ichimonji. It was finally put through shinsa (Miyano-san) and was papered to Ishido Yasuhiro den. (Most unsigned blades will receive the "den" designation, so it seems.) Anyway, I'll see about attaching some photos of my blade; it's interesting to compare hamon. Ron H.

post-2327-14196838193993_thumb.jpg

post-2327-14196838198898_thumb.jpg

post-2327-14196838201002_thumb.jpg

post-2327-1419683820367_thumb.jpg

Please explain to me why is " sorrowly false "

@ Ron, that is pure beauty, thanks for showing it, and yes my Hamon looks like that, its hard to bring it out, as it needs a good polish, and I'm not very good at doing the whole red line thing, I did the best that I could do.

Brian

Ron:

Are you absolutely sure?

- I was sort of wondering where this was all going as soon as they started talking of a good polish and the fact that sometimes with chisels the mei looks different etc. It is fairly easy to come up with possible explanations to explain the differences in oshigata of authenticated signatures and hamon appearance in an attempt to convince oneself of the fact that your blade is not a copy. I have done it myself but please be advised at least IMHO the differences in signatures between several blades by the same smith are almost none in terms of angulation, depth of cut, angles, size etc.

If yours does not match the first oshigata's submitted - it's not that smith - you may find it is a second or third generation but it will take more study. You are certainly entitled to have this blade polished but just to improve its appearance in itself - don't bet on it becoming a great example of this particular smiths work.

Please correct me in my errors = only way to learn

Hi Brian, you need to be aware that the Yasuhiro has several kizu and there is a fukure which is in the process of opening up. Consider carefully before making the decision to put this sword through a polish, and if you do decide to polish the sword make sure you are going to someone with the training and skills to address these types of problems. You should weigh the costs for restoration and what the end result will be with what you could buy with those same funds. I frequently see nice, signed, ubu, papered, shinto wakizashi in polish with no notable kizu in the 4-5k range.

- Ray

Here are some more pics of the Boshi, and the Yakidashi, on the Boshi you can see some of the Hada activity also.

You can see the Hamon in these pics since I did a good cleaning on it today.

Brian

If you are decided not to send your sword to Japan for restoration then Jimmy Hayashi is an excellent polisher. Not to beat a dead horse, but before you make a decision I would encourage you to calculate your expected total costs including what you originally paid for the sword + habaki, shirasaya, polish, papers (including agent fees). Most times it is not advisable to go through this process with a sword that has notable flaws or if the mei is questionable.

- Ray

There is a long waiting list, so i have plenty of time to think it over, but will be getting polished, if not Japan, then David Hofhine, as I have looked at his work, and he does good work.

This is my Nihonto, and plan on keeping it a very long time.

Thanks for sound advice.

Brian

Brian, this sword has faults. These faults may and probably will become worse, with a polish. Next, have the Mei (signature) fully checked out, to make sure it is Genuine. As you like this sword, leave it as it is for a while, whilst you are on your learning curb. With more Knowledge, you may eventually change your mind and save some money.

Brian,

You have received a wide range of opinions - - and given us all an interesting ride. I'll side with Ron Hartman - dahhh - I would bet heavily that this is a legit signature. Like Ron, I've owned a shodai Yasuhiro and I have seen a bunch more. They are not uncommon and from my experience rather varied. It is also important to recall that there were a couple of generations. My guess is that this blade was made by the 3rd generation. That kizu just behind the yokote worries me. And I agree that this blade would be within Dave Hofhine's range.

Peter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..