Japanese Tanto WW2 USMC VET BRING BACK, need help =)

The blade from the guard measures just over 6 1/2" long. Overall length tip to tip is about 8 3/4". It has two grooves on one side of the blade and one on the other. Looking from the top, the blade is quite thick near the guard then it tapers in and flares back out again toward the tip." It is the original length to the sheath and the bag that it is in would have covered the whole sheath if it could slide over it. The whole sheath was covered in old black electrical tape....I removed some off the handle to get the pin out. I did not pull the rest out of the bag as it is pretty tight in there. As you can see, the blade has been sharpened a bit and will need a good polish to bring it back. I really think this blade is worth it given its fine features. I did not touch anything else on this blade." The tang may be signed but I did not disrupt any of the rust as you can see. The blade was purchased from an Estate Sale Picker who said,"The son of the veteran talked about his dad and he said that his dad fought at Tarawa and Okinawa". So I'm guessing it was picked up in Tarawa.

How old do you guys think this is? Anyway to tell? :thanks:

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

9-1.jpg

10-1.jpg

not in my comfort zone but it appears to be a standard issue Personal protection tanto, often referred to as a kamikaze pilots dagger. These were issued to pilots and if I remember Fuller and Grepry correctly to army offricers as well. Usually in plain wood or balck laquered mounts with a leather cover and usually chord to hang the weapon around the users neck.

Blade looks to be standard machine made and millitary issue. Sorry to say but it is unlikely that it merits the expense of ploish and restoration, but to be sure it needs to be seen in hand by someone with greater knowledge in this area.

Good luck

Paul

What Paul said, although these were almost always personal officer's daggers, and seldom had any "Kamikaze" useage. Most officers had one, and they were usually either oil quenched or had an etched hamon. Shape is typical, as are the mounts. Nakago always looks like that, it is one of the indicators of these, with the ana low down on the nakago and rough shape.

Interesting militaria item, but not worth a polish. Just clean it with oil etc.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..