HABAKI

Grey Doffin

Ron's thread about his tiger habaki got me thinking. Habaki are the best part of the koshirae for me. Anyone care to share pix of great habaki?

Here's one I own. Silver foil in the process of patination or tarnish, depending on your point of view.

Grey

post-23-14196834809203_thumb.jpg

The one by Brian Tschernega is remarkably good. I wonder what he would charge for one like that?

$$$$

By the way, there are two things I don't care for in habaki: foil and shakudo.....Foil seems to invariably tear at some future point, and the shakudo patina also seems to scuff or rub itself off with time....Have seen this happen many many times....

Another thing that I watch for is too aggressive of pattern on the surface. It can abraid the koiguchi like a rasp and over time, ruin a tight fit.

I have always preferred solid silver or copper, which with the rising commodity prices, are becoming the new gold....

The most beautiful habaki came on my mumei Juyo wakizashi attributed to Sa Hiroyasu, found in old shirasaya, totally out-of-polish (10%-20%) but with this fantastic habaki! When sent for polish/shinsa I neglected to request the same habaki be used and of course, it came back with a newly made gold foiled dbl. habaki! Oh how I regret not knowing better, but I would bet the habaki ended up on the polisher's sword! Sadly, no photos.

However, locally, there is a fantastic habaki on a locally owned sword (possibly later generation Kunikane w/cutting test) that we always wanted to be "right." Unfortunately, as fine as the carving is on this habaki the mei is just not correct for Nagatsune (as signed). This kind of thing will always puzzle me, how somebody can be such a good carver and not use his own name. It's been awhile since seeing this habaki and honestly, I don't recall the base material (photos seem an untrue color...) but it has shakudo inlay, gold inlay, fine carving...fun piece! Fortunately, I did save photos of this habaki (attached).

Ron H.

post-2327-14196834880477_thumb.jpg

post-2327-14196834883663_thumb.jpg

post-2327-14196834886875_thumb.jpg

post-2327-14196834888721_thumb.jpg

I like this thread. Favorite so far is the one RKG posted, though he must show the tanto that goes with it.

I have a Goto menuki and kozuka set designed for a tanto that would go with his habaki, though it might be too much mon on a small blade?

Here is an antique ones from a Yasumitsu sword.

post-51-14196834892136_thumb.jpg

This habaki was on an interesting sword recently brought over for look-see (I forget which sword right now)...but the upper part of the habaki is actually concave. A little hard to see on the picture, but I've never come across a habaki made this way before. Just interesting.

Ron H.

post-2327-1419683603791_thumb.jpg

Eric:

Love the antique #4. Beautifully understated piece.

Who made #7. European artist?

Ron:

Concave? Yes, that is off the beaten path. Photo certainly doesn't show it. Any chance of getting a side or angled photo of it?

Curran, I have forgotten to ask you on what criteria you believed the habaki 07 was crafted by a European. To my knowledge there is nobody capable to perform habaki on this level in Europe.

Two other habaki from my collection

1 - Edo period

2 - late Edo period

Eric

post-369-14196836062042_thumb.jpg

post-369-14196836065299_thumb.jpg

The most beautiful habaki came on my mumei Juyo wakizashi attributed to Sa Hiroyasu, found in old shirasaya, totally out-of-polish (10%-20%) but with this fantastic habaki! When sent for polish/shinsa I neglected to request the same habaki be used and of course, it came back with a newly made gold foiled dbl. habaki! Oh how I regret not knowing better, but I would bet the habaki ended up on the polisher's sword! Sadly, no photos.

If I understand correctly, you are saying the polisher stole your habaki? That is shocking if true. Why on earth would you not immediately contact the polisher and ask why he didn’t return your original habaki? This makes zero sense to me. :shock:

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..