Shakudo tigerhead habaki

Ron STL

Hi -

A recent purchase is being enjoyed, a handsome hirazukuri tanto signed KANENORI (HO nori) papered to Seki Kanenori, Tensho era. This tanto is listed in the 1979 Meibutsu catalogue (Chicago sword show exhibit) but is not illustrated. (#35 p. 18) This habaki (mentioned in the description) is of heavy shakudo excellently carved as a tiger's head. The catalogue says the habaki is signed HIDEMITSU but searching Haynes listing I see no such name for these kanji. However, I did find a listing for TERUMITSU (H.0960.0) which is identical kanji for the habaki's mei. Terumitsu was 5th son of Omori Teruhide. The habaki mei is a simple nijimei and does not include the Omori name, so maybe I'm onto the wrong carver afterall. Beautiful work that I'll share with a couple photos. Sorry the mei photo is not great, but after numerous attempts, I had to give it up for today.

As always, any comments or thoughts on this habaki are more than welcomed. The tanto has two papers, a "green" NBTHK dated 1961 and NTHK dated 1969. Considering these dates, I suspect the tanto was papered and purchased in Japan...my guess.

Ron H.

post-2327-14196834784805_thumb.jpg

post-2327-14196834795193_thumb.jpg

Hi Ron H.,

What a strange habaki. I also have not seen many habaki made out of shakudo. The detail and gold inlays looks really nice. Sorry can't be much help with the mei or who made the habaki.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

I agree that the kanji on Ron’s very fine habaki read TERUMITSU (英満), an artist listed by Haynes as Omori Terumitsu (H 09603.0). I can see no reason to doubt the veracity of this mei, and Kinkō Meikan, on pp.53a-54a, illustrates several very similar ones.

John L.

Glad everyone got a kick out of seeing this habaki. The blade is mounted in an old shirasaya, so no koshirae to enjoy. I'll have to check out Kinko Meikan...haven't done that yet, but it's good to get some back-up on Terumitsu reading of the name. As to this representing a shishi as opposed to a tiger, hmmm...the teeth and gold fang sees strong for a shishi, but will check this out further.

Thanks for looking! Ron H.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..