Higo koshirae with a tsuba that has an anna for a bashin

b.hennick

Here is a photo of a katana size tsuba that has one hole for a bashin. There is a shakudo overlay that makes it look like there is an ana for a kogai.

The rest of the koshriae can be seen here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/b.hennick/ ... tTu9tC-nAE

The blade that goes with the koshirae is by Rai Kuninaga aka Nakajima Rai.

post-46-14196819042283_thumb.jpg

post-46-14196819047338_thumb.jpg

post-46-14196819053136_thumb.jpg

post-46-14196819060015_thumb.jpg

This Bashin/Kankyuto was recently offered by Aoi. All the pics I have seen of these tools have a bar end other than that of a kogai. But is the hitsu ana of this Tsuba suited i.e. big enough for this kind of Bashin/Kankyuto?

Total length: 22.4 cm

Blade length: 13.2 cm

Width of hamachi: 1.09 cm

Eric

post-369-14196819065221_thumb.jpg

This one you pointed to is too wide and would not fit. If you look at the photos on picassa you will see how small the slot in the saya is.

Please do not overlook the leather wrap of the handle. That was done, I was told by the seller, by one of the best or very best with this type of wrap. Brian Tschernaga told me that he cannot get that quality leather to work with.

Dear John and Barry

Piers gave the link viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4637&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45 and I have attached one of the images. This may be the style needed for your

tsuba.

In my Tanto saya pockets Barry gave some dimensions for a Bashin. I thought it was for a standard

shape so made one for him (About 6 hours of work). Now I see that I made the wrong shape.

So John and Barry please make vary good measurement of what you need (including the length of the

blade) and I will make them up from some 100 plus year old iron that I have. Not Japanese iron just old. This will allow you to fill the hole until you find the correct one.

Also looking at the image which style would you like.

Once I make yours and get 'good' I will make mine. :)

you can email me at jswords@mcn.net

later

david mcdonald

This one you pointed to is too wide and would not fit. If you look at the photos on picassa you will see how small the slot in the saya is.

Please do not overlook the leather wrap of the handle. That was done, I was told by the seller, by one of the best or very best with this type of wrap. Brian Tschernaga told me that he cannot get that quality leather to work with.

post-2102-14196819158085_thumb.jpg

Dear John

So send me some dimensions.

And the style you would like.

width

length of hilt part

length of blade part

thickness (maybe a guess)

Then when you get it you might have to file to make work.

later

david mcdonald

Hi David, How very kind of you to offer. John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..