Tanto saya pockets

David McDonald

Dear All

I have a tanto where the saya has pockets for kozuka and kogai but the pockets are small compared to normal. On the side with the kurikata the pocket measures 12.5 mm x 49 mm and on the other side measures as 13.5 mm x 54 mm.

Standard size seems to be in the 14-15 mm by around 95 mm.

Is there a name for the small size kozuka and kogai needed for my saya?

Does anyone know where a set might be for sale?

Thanks for any comments

later

david mcdonald

post-2102-14196818896805_thumb.jpg

Speaking from my own limited experience, David, I do not think there was a special name for Kozuka or Kogai of smaller or larger sizes than the standard that you mention.

Having spent many months looking for a smaller-sized kozuka even than yours I can say that they do exist, but they are not common. If I were to renew the quest, the first place would be my nearest sword shop. They have secret drawers, and a display case with unusual kozuka/kogai. This must be true for most sword shops in Japan. Failing that, if it was really important, you could have some made up.

In my case it became apparent from the shape of the hitsu ana that it was wanting a Bashin after all. :bang:

Off topic for a moment, but I have at least two very small ones at home, Barry. Neither of them in perfect condition as I recall. Let me check on the measurements this evening. (Sadly no longer used to working in inches, by the way!)

Found this old page, BTW: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopi ... a&start=45

Dear Barry

Will this one work?? It is total length of 3.5 inch and the top part is about 1 5/8 inch.

If interested please email me at jswords@mcn.net with your

mailing address.

It was made in Heisai 24 using 100 plus year old iron.

later

david mcdonald

HIgo school certainly made smaller kozuka and kogai as I have seen several. I have been looking for a Higo Umabari that is small for a long time length 1 5/8" witdth less than 1/4". If you come across one please let me know.

Regards,

Barry Hennick

post-2102-14196819151943_thumb.jpg

Dear Piers

I am going to try to make the all metal style kozuka like on the image you noted

if you like I will try one for you or if you think best a bashin??

let me know

jswords@mcn.net

later

david mcdonald

Speaking from my own limited experience, David, I do not think there was a special name for Kozuka or Kogai of smaller or larger sizes than the standard that you mention.

Having spent many months looking for a smaller-sized kozuka even than yours I can say that they do exist, but they are not common. If I were to renew the quest, the first place would be my nearest sword shop. They have secret drawers, and a display case with unusual kozuka/kogai. This must be true for most sword shops in Japan. Failing that, if it was really important, you could have some made up.

In my case it became apparent from the shape of the hitsu ana that it was wanting a Bashin after all. :bang:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..