Bridge of Dreams closes ;-(

:( As is often the case I checked out the book sellers on the commercial list looking for new additions. This time I noted the closing of "Bridge of Dreams".

I have had the peasure of buying books from Craig Harris for a number of years. I always felt that I got a fair deall from a "straight shooter". When Criaig did not have a book I was looking for he would point out who else might. Craig could always be counted on for little pieces of old ivory for removing rust from a tsuba.

I want to thank Craig for the service he provided the sword community and to wish him much success in future endeavors.

I hope that you continue to dream and continue to maintain a bridge to the sword community.

Craig was kind enough to warn me about the book business when I posted a list of 30+ books for sale. I thought that he was joking but now realise that he was indeed providing a warning worth listening to.

Craig thanks again and I do wish you all the best.

I agree.

I would always like to talk to him more, but it seems this past decade has had many of us in survival mode of different degrees during what some are now jokingly calling, "the Not so Great Depression". I envy those who were able to go to San Fran and have long discussions over those topics of mutual interest. I would have liked the Goto display very much.

I hope Craig's next pursuit is more rewarding to him and those he cares about.

Curran

Craig,

I hope you won't be disappearing too soon, and will pop in and fill us in on what is happening. Sad to hear though. But even if you don't do it full time or for a livelyhood, no reason why you can't still hang out here, or source a book or 2 for anyone looking?

Anyways, hope to hear from you soon. All the best

Brian

Dear Craig,

I concur with Brian, ... there is no reason why you cannot post BOOKS FOR SALE that you happen to come across in your everyday pursuit of another livelyhood and/or retirement. I wish you all the best in whatever endeavours you pursue.

Kind regards, ... Ron Watson

Gentlemen, I thank you for your kind words and concern.

I had been thinking of starting a topic here to explain the circumstances of my situation for some time now, and I thank Barry for getting things started.

I was a collector long before I was a bookseller, though I made a point of building as comprehensive a library as possible. When I was forced in 2003 to rethink my career selling books was a natural and comfortable course to take. As I had already started to sell blades, armor, etc. in what became a process of focusing my collection on early soft metal tsuba - a process I have described here in some detail - selling off the portions of my library that were now superfluous, along with the extra copies I had acquired along the way, was a natural. It gave me an excuse to continue to go to sword shows, and I loved to place the right book in the right hands.

This community was a mainstay of the business I built, and I'm eternal grateful for the many good friends I have made.

Some of you might remember me as a dedicated heavy smoker, though I quit in 2005. Midway through 2009 I began experiencing symptoms of what was diagnosed as emphysema, and the progress of the disease has been rather rapid. I'm not on oxygen yet, and medication allows me to be minimally functional, but my days of lugging boxes of Taikans around was clearly over. The Chicago winters are especially difficult, and much of last winter I was unable to put much energy into the business, in fact I had to cancel some orders because I couldn't drag myself out to the garage to find the books to ship them.

This spring I made a decent deal with my good friends here at Paragon Books, and nearly all of my Asian related book inventory is there now on consignment. Actually they have been able to make great strides in cataloging a huge backlog of interesting books that I never seemed to get around to, like:

京都国立博物館蔵 坂本龍馬の関係遺品

Kyoto kokuritsu hakubutsukan zo: Sakamoto Ryoma no kankei ihin

[Kyoto National Museum's Collection of Articles that Belonged to Sakamoto Ryoma]

京都国立博物館

Kyoto National Museum

7 x 10", 16 pp., 5 b/w illustrations, text in Japanese, paper, Kyoto, 1981. (o.p.; light soil marks to cover)

This exhibition catalog contains articles such as kimono, swords, writings and paintings that belonged to Sakamoto Ryoma, a leader of the movement that overthrew the Tokugawa shogunate during the Bakumatsu period in Japan. His handwritten documents are supplemented by a printed version.

Price $10.00 Item # 39582

I've been battling with Social Security over getting disability and medical benefits, and I'm still waiting after over a year to find out when I will be able to appear before the final stage of appeal. There's a technicality, I won't bore you with the details, but it's not a sure thing. Of course I didn't have insurance in force when all this hit.

I've also had my hands full with the inevitable creditors, the home mortgage loan modification game, etc. We are losing our house and still have to find a place to move. Through all this I've somehow managed to keep 4 kids in school, 2 in college at the moment, and my dear wife has been working way too many hours.

I've been able to maintain my sense of humor, more or less, and I do still have a few things to sell that will be of some interest here. I still look at books when I get out, and keep my eyes, virtual and physical, open for bargains.

I've recently tried to contribute here when I have something to offer, and I'll continue to do that.

I don't know if I have a "3rd act," though I may have to think of something if the SSDI gets turned down - my wife is tired of being the breadwinner and says I have to contribute!

Thanks again for the friendship and continued support I find here,

Craig

Craig,

I am saddened by the closure of site, as the current circumstances as you described. It has been a pleasure and learning experience over the years to have shared our common interest in old soft metal. I hope as others have also expressed, that you continue to participate and contribute to this forum as well as stay in touch directly.

Wishing you the best,

Boris.

Craig, I think we only met once, in Tôkyô, 2004 (?), at the first NMB Gathering; at that time Hans introduced you to me. Being kind of a heavy smoker myself, your post shocked me - I guess it's about time to take a closer look at my unhealthy habits ...

IIRC, I never bought a book from you, but the reason for that is that my library is so extensive (in all modesty ;)) that there's not much left that gets me excited nowadays.

Coming from a country where social security / health insurance is mandatory - you can't opt out of it even if you want to - I can only imagine what you're going through right now. Hang in there! I always enjoy your posts on NMB and Facebook, and wish you all the best.

Craig it was always pleasure doing business with you, very professional and excellent service. My heart goes out to you and your family at this time, if there is anything I can do to help please let me know, if you need anything listed on my website I can put it up, links, books, sales etc etc. I'll front page it for you, no commission or fees or anything, let me know if I can be of assistance.

Best regards,

Louis

Craig,

I am saddened to hear of your condition. Having friends and my Grandfather suffer from this debilitating disease my heart and prayers go out to you.

However, with the right MD, and course of treatment you should be able to maintain a great quality of life for many years to come.

Never give up to the beaurocrats, fight like hell !

Craig,

I too am sorry to hear of your difficulties. I always admire anyone with the tenacity and strength to schlep so many books to a show! :lol: I agree with Ed that with the right help and treatment, it can be managed. My uncle has this condition which was a product of his long career in the upholstery business inhaling small fabric fibers for decades.

All my best wishes to you for better health and resolution to your financial issues. As Thoman Paine wrote; "These are the days that try men's souls".

I do hope to see you at a show in the future, with or without your books. :)

Cheers,

Ted

Dear Craig,

Sorry about all of your troubles as of late. I wish you best of luck in your future endeavor and dealing with the government's Social Security "red tape". Take care and hope to still see you around on the NMB.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

• 1 month later...

I was just about to start a thread on Craig's site closure, but thought to search for it on NMB, thank goodness.

Craig, I, like many others, will miss your cheerful voice on the forum. Having spent 12 frustrating years working as a senior manager for the feds, I really understand how you're feeling about the bureaucracy! You would be astonished at what happens inside a federal agency, but suffice it to say that I finally gave up a six-figure income to start my own company because I just couldn't stand the shibai any longer.

Perseverance is key to fighting the system. My Dad was a POW in Germany during WWII, & wasn't able to persuade the military to help out at all with even the obvious problems he had, but my sister & I kept helping him send in letter after letter until, finally, they caved. The nice thing about that was that they gave him almost a quarter-million in back benefits along with the medical care he needed.

Stay in their faces, Craig, & document EVERYTHING! Bureaucrats are literally paid bonuses to say "NO" as long as possible, & to keep close track on every excuse they use to not give you what you're due. Trump that with doctors' reports, lost wages, & anything else you can think of. It's your money paid into Social Insecurity, & they make you work hard to get it.

Best of luck, my friend! May the last laugh be yours!!

Ken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..