Katana Forging

Basil

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum so thought I'd say hi first.

So hi!

And now onto business;)

I'm pretty new to Japanese blades and was wondering is someone could point me in the direction of a list of curent recognized blade makers.

Also I've been reading whatever I can the past few days on this and other forums, but if anyone knows of some must read books or online material I'd be glad for a point in the right direction.

Also I guess I should mention that I'm located in Toronto Canada if there are other members in the area I'd love to hear more from you!

Looking forward to hearing from you guys and leaning all that I can

Basil

In the States there are Antony DiCristofano, Rick Barrett and possibly others that work tamahagane (or oroshigane maybe). Not traditionals are Howard Clark, Walter Sorrels and others.

In Canada are the MAS/Butouken swords, that are considered semi-customs (made in Korea by Park).

John,

I have a feeling that Basil is looking for a traditional sword (shinsakuto) and not a modern copy.

Basil, this would be a good place to start: http://www.thejapanesesword.com/

There are listings of many of the modern smiths there, and Paul Martin has contact with some of them. The All Japan Swordsmith Association represents many of them. There are also some good links there to smiths. Many Westerners commission their shinsakuto through this company: http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/index.html but there are some on the forum that can also broker deals like that.

Check out our own links section above for a host of good info.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Thank you for the replies gentlemen.

As I said I'm new to this pastime so I'm not familiar with all the proper terminology.

I thought a Nihonto was a traditionally forged blade so that's why I posted it here

What is the difference between a Nihonto and a Shinsakuto?

Nihonto means Japanese sword. Shinsakuto is a newly made sword. While all shinsakuto are nihonto, all nihonto are not shinsakuto as they include and older blades. A shinsakuto is used and admired, while antique blades are admired only. They can be used as well, but -as usage might bring wear to them and thus the humanity loose important cultural artifacts- using of antique blades is not encouraged.

EDIT: For commisioning a shinsakuto, I 'd go with a reputable agent, like Chris. Occuring issues and communication might be hard to deal with whithout knowing the language.

Nihonto means Japanese sword. Shinsakuto is a newly made sword. While all shinsakuto are nihonto, all nihonto are not shinsakuto as they include and older blades. A shinsakuto is used and admired, while antique blades are admired only. They can be used as well, but -as usage might bring wear to them and thus the humanity loose important cultural artifacts- using of antique blades is not encouraged.

Thank you for the clarification.

Looks like I need to do alot more reading. Hope to learn as much as I can from this wonderful site.

I would love to read about the smiths and see their beautiful work and one day be able to have a Shinsakuto of my own.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..