oni tsuba

roninjje

Well, here is a tsuba, and what I would consider its match that was discussed on another thread. Milt, John, and Barry all discussed this tsuba on the right, formerly owned by Jim Gilbert. Please take alook at the image showing front and reverse of both. Now, what school are these? Mito? Any background. They would look awesome on a daisho :)

post-300-14196736031919_thumb.jpg

post-300-1419673608111_thumb.jpg

wow, the right one is the " sho " ?

you " robbed ' me........... :evil:

hahhahahahaaaaa, very very nice.............now go klick on my e-snips folders and buy some more !!

By the way, I added a lot of painting pics in the two painting folders.......there's one hand scroll now mounted as kakemono that I like particularly.

milt the ronin

I should have bought them both from Barry when I had the chance at Tampa last year. But I also bought a Yoshimichi katana in goto mounts and a sukashi chrysanthamum tsuba to match.

I am looking for arrow bundle menuki, and oni f/k to put a daisho together. Don't worry milt a day does not go by that I don't look at your stuff... ;)

hi

yes it's one of my tsuba the same as the one scan from book Hyaku-tan [100 Tsuba] Vol2

translation

1.On a lucky day in August of 1866

2.Myochin Katsumi Ki Munenaga

3.(made this for/on request of)Sakamoto Naokata.

Maybe this is the Tsuba described by Haynes at H06165!?

Haynes:retainer of the Yamanouchi Daimyo of Tosa.Student of the first Akasaka Tadanori H 09135.

post-17-14196736105081_thumb.jpg

post-17-14196736106629_thumb.jpg

post-17-14196736107515_thumb.jpg

post-17-14196736108141_thumb.jpg

Actually neither "roninjje's" (so much for forum policies) nor Thierry's Tsuba show an Oni (yes, I noticed that the description of Thierry's Tsuba in the Japanese book states "Oni face 鬼面", but nonetheless). It's not an Oni 鬼 but a Shikami 魅.

They are easily distinguished by their horns. Oni have square heads with small, conical, stubby horns. The Shikami has the face of a Shishi, and the ears and horns of an oxen, and is frequently depicted without a lower jaw (but not always). One will only see the head of a Shikami, but never the body. Shikami are sometimes described as Onimen Shishi 鬼面獅子, "devil/demon-faced lions".

From the Nambokuchô period on, the Shikami was one of the favorite subjects of Maedate, like on my mid-Edo period Gosoku:

post-13-14196736109142_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196736111547_thumb.jpg

So this is our new friend Shikami ?

Nope, that's an Oni: short horns,hairy body, and the telltale claws and tiger fur pants. The face, however, resembles a Shikami, same as the last Tsuba Thierry posted.

Well, as with many things Japanese, the lines get blurry sometimes. Add to that the artistic license, and you have food for dicussion for the next couple of decades ... ain't it fun? ;)

BTW: kind of a fishy Kanteishô, who's the 日本美術刀剣研究保存会? And issued Meij 13, that's 1880, right? :roll:

The paper explains that Nobuyoshi (信盧) is its maker and he was a student of Masayoshi (政盧). And Nobuyoshi died in Meiji 13 (1880).

btw - added my signature - sorry about that

Thanks for doing that - it makes replying to posts much easier.

Sorry for always being so anal when it comes to real names (my philosophy: if you have to say something, be man/woman enough to identify yourself), but I think "kendoman" kind of made my point much better than I could ever had ... :(

:D JJ, , sounds lot better than the Oni/Koi dude ( you are the koi dude too if I am not mistaken ).

you ought to send me your book, autographed and all for free ( for taking advantage of my good nature ) !!!!! I can even wait till you hand deliver to me in Chicago. :badgrin:

Back to tsuba topic...........

the oni tsuba of T....................

last count there's three collectors with the same tsuba in their collection.

Are these things " mass produced " ? I know tsuba are not one of a kind but what's the chance of having three collectors having the same thing ?

Another example is the hawk on pine tree looking down at two, sometimes three chidori ......... I see that examples coming up in auctions all the time. Some mumei, some signed but different mei.

I happen to have one acquired years ago.......... mine have " different " patina treatment on various part of the brass, eg. the breast of the hwak is " silverish ".........

http://www.esnips.com/web/tsuba?docsPage=18#files

klick on brass hawk.jpg

comments on these late edo " mono " ?

milt the ronin

yeah, I'll bring you a copy, I'll even autograph it. :D

What suprised me about Thierry's was the back, being concave, onto the monkey/shikami, I wonder if these became tourist pieces when Japan was opened up? I have seen various examples of your's as well.

BTW, I have deceided to stick to the koi I have in my pond and move on to demons and devils. :evil:

Actually neither "roninjje's" (so much for forum policies) nor Thierry's Tsuba show an Oni (yes, I noticed that the description of Thierry's Tsuba in the Japanese book states "Oni face 鬼面", but nonetheless). It's not an Oni 鬼 but a Shikami 魅.

They are easily distinguished by their horns. Oni have square heads with small, conical, stubby horns. The Shikami has the face of a Shishi, and the ears and horns of an oxen, and is frequently depicted without a lower jaw (but not always). One will only see the head of a Shikami, but never the body. Shikami are sometimes described as Onimen Shishi 鬼面獅子, "devil/demon-faced lions".

From the Nambokuchô period on, the Shikami was one of the favorite subjects of Maedate, like on my mid-Edo period Gosoku:

take a look see at my armour with the shikami............

http://www.esnips.com/web/zuikan

milt the ronin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..