Looking for sources on Ono tsuba

Marius

Dear All,

where should I start trying to learn about this school (if it was a school at all)? I have seen only three or four tsuba described as Ono in Sasano's "Early Japanese Sword Guards. Sukashi Tsuba" and two more in Jim Gilbert's short article here: http://home.earthlink.net/~jggilbert/ono.htm

I have recently bought a tsuba said to be Ono. I would like to do some research on Ono. Any hints or clues where to start would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for your help :bowdown:

Mariusz,

There are probably other suggestions that I've not thought of, but two that come to mind:

I don't have a copy at hand, but Harry Watson's translation of the Nihonto Koza Token volume on Kodogu may include some comments on Ono (unless Ono is part of the untranslated "Kodogu Volume Two.")

There are several pages on Ono in "Tsuba: An Aesthetic Study" by Torigoye via Robert Haynes and Alan Harvie, published by the NCJSC. I have the original version, but I think the club sells a reformatted version fairly cheap ($25?) and it should be on anyone's shelf even if only a casual student of tsuba.

- Craig

Hi Mariusz,

Checking the Index I come up with the 1st Compton auction, page 38, and Art and the Sword (JSS/US Bulletin) volume 3, page 4. This last is part of an article on Owari tsuba by Wakayama Homatsu. If you don't have this issue of Art and the Sword get back to me and I'll type it into a post here on NMB.

Grey

Dear Mariusz,

One does not see a whole lot of ONO tsuba for sale, ... at least I don't. It was this example which led me down the slippery path of Nihonto and related art / artifacts collecting / study. It remains a favorite.

About 30 years ago, I was offered a very tired o-suriage Tachi ( cut down to wakizashi ). The Tsuba pictured below was on that sword, and it is the reason I sprung for the $ 75.00 asking price. The tsuba was covered in heavy paint ( not patina ) ......... PAINT. The features were completely obliterated with paint. Many many hours of cleaning went into the removal of the paint from all those waves and piercings.

After taking it to an old Japanese collector who became my sensi, he quickly translated the one side to say : Shimomura Fukushige. The other side of the Nakago-ana read Oshu Province. A little research indicated ONO School .... early Edo. Measurements top to bottom 3 inches, side to side 2 1/2 inches. Thickness 5/16 inch. It is of course iron, and well forged. Sadly due to damage to the original patina by removal of paint, I had to re-colour it. I hope I got it relatively close. Anyways this item was the beginning of a most enjoyable and expensive introduction to the Arts of the Samurai.

Kind regards, ... Ron Watson

post-1782-14196790737084_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mariusz,

Checking the Index I come up with the 1st Compton auction, page 38, and Art and the Sword (JSS/US Bulletin) volume 3, page 4. This last is part of an article on Owari tsuba by Wakayama Homatsu. If you don't have this issue of Art and the Sword get back to me and I'll type it into a post here on NMB.

Grey

Dear Grey,

that would be very kind, indeed, as I don't have the JSSUS bulletin. I will look up the Compton catallogue, thanks for the tip :-)

Dear Craig,

thank you for all sources. No need to scan (very kind offer, thank you!) - I will add what I don't already have to my library :-)

I will browse the Haynes catalogue and index as well.

Thanks, gentlemen, I appreciate your help :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

From Art and the Sword, Volume 3, article by Wakayama Homatsu.

ONO TSUBA

One group of craftsmen are said to have resided in the village of Ono, Chita-gun, Owari Province, during the early part of the Edo period. The name of the area is used for their name, and thus their work is known as Ono tsuba.

It is said that they began as a group of eight smiths who came to Ise Province from Tsuji-mura in Omi Province during the first year of Oho (1116), and that from among this group six smiths continued on their way to Ono where they settled. This group is said to have been the origin of the Ono smiths.

On the other hand, it is also thought that this one group was actually engaged in blacksmithing farm implements, and in their free time they produced tsuba. Most of that work is in the Owari style similar to Kanayama tsuba, and there is also mixing of ita tsuba (blank sheet) type work. Those works with this type of quality are called Ono tsuba.

The craftsmen of this school used signatures like "Bishu Ono Ju Fujishige", "Bishu Ono Ju Fukunari", "Bishu Ono Ju Fukutoshi", and others include Fukumune and Fukumori.

Grey

I remember reading a few different places that the Ono school was one of the first schools making early Yagyu tsuba on commission. Some of the early designs of Ono school were also adopted for Yagyu use. Other schools that also make Yagyu tsuba were the Owari, Kanayama, and Shoami schools.

Yours truly,

David S.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..