Arsenal Stamps.

HI Scott!

John got the stamps for you.  For future reference, 2 free sources:

Ohmura Study; Type 95 Stamps page

And as John mentioned:

Stamps of the Japanese Sword

The stacked cannon balls of the Kokura arsenal are seen on Type 95s up to 1942, when the arsenal stopped being the overseer for Tokyo 1st and Nagaya production.  

5 hours ago, John C said:

The stamps and sword are legit (type 95 Iijima Tokyo 1st), however the blade is in terrible shape and last I saw it was at 751 dollars, which is way too much for the condition it was in. There were no pictures of the serial numbers so not sure if they match the scabbard; black tape is not original as well. I had sent a message to Goodwill with this information, however they didn't post it.

Regards,

John C.

p.s. Please see Bruce Pennington's excellent stamp document in downloads for more info.

Thank you very much 

4 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

HI Scott!

John got the stamps for you.  For future reference, 2 free sources:

Ohmura Study; Type 95 Stamps page

And as John mentioned:

Stamps of the Japanese Sword

The stacked cannon balls of the Kokura arsenal are seen on Type 95s up to 1942, when the arsenal stopped being the overseer for Tokyo 1st and Nagaya production.  

Thanks so much for all your help. Very glad I found experts 

5 hours ago, John C said:

a Hidetoshi with numbered nakago here:

That's an interesting one, John.  I have one with a horizontal 8 about that size on a '43 Kanemichi

8horizontalon43Kanemichi.png.8fa4572cbaa07a2324ca9c7a1a6c3ad3.png

Any chance this is a shop logo/mark, I wonder?  @mecox - Any chance there were a Kanemichi and a Hidetoshi working together?  Of course, it could be a sword shop that bought blades from all over, assembling their own gunto, and this was their mark.  

• Like 1

@Bruce Pennington  @John C   IDO HIDETOSHI (井戸 秀俊) was a key tosho in the Amahide workshop in Seki and also commonly did daisaku with Amahide and others.  various blades have the Amahide kokuin stamp, also a few other stamps e.g. "flaming ball"  and a "one-punch".   I have not seen an "8" but it looks more like OO ?   That was a very productive workshop and there is a range of mei and stamp combinations due to daisaku and combined work. 

• Thanks 1

@John C  @Bruce Pennington  the kaigunto John found

Pic 1:   stamp in circle of Toyokawa arsenal plus か "ka"   katakana.   The ink characters are assembly no. same as the fittings   941  九四一.   Looks to be typical stainless steel blade.

Pic 2: ink writing looks like a name (is it the owner, or the assembler?)   Suggestion is:   SHIRAKI  白木    HIKOICHI  彦市  (shira is not clear).

Pic 3:   probably a fault not a stamp.

kaigunto1.thumb.jpg.166eb0cc3b33e4814159780164913f17.jpg           kaigunto2.thumb.jpg.1621a1ea8fbefe86f9859682dc21c9a7.jpg       kaigunto3.jpg.352dc5419dd9ef7e21bb9a0f1b110b65.jpg

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

The March 2024 update of the Stamps of the Japanese Sword is posted (thanks Brian!)

Did some housekeeping:
-Took Kikumon and Buddhist stamps out of the Army Section and grouped them with the Bonji in their own place
-Added a couple Kakihan and 4 Cut Tester kao; added a stamped mei for tester cutter Kakudo
-Expanded the discussion/history behind the 1 Leaf Aoi emblem
-Improved display and discussion of the Iida latch markings
-Added the small star on seppa and a shop stamp on kyugunto to the Unknown section

So, not a big update.

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/20/2023 at 12:37 AM, Jcstroud said:

Hey,Trystan where did you find this one?

John

Found another work by 伊奈波 兼波之作, this one without cutting off the mei.

Comparing it to the one I posted earlier with a partially cut-off mei, the signature does not appear to be carved by the same individual.

DSC05218.jpg

DSC05212.jpg

DSC05213.jpg

DSC05215-scaled.jpg

thumb.jpg.c04a77570751976a662a05b8fcedbdb5.jpg

1 hour ago, John C said:

Bruce:

Did all star stamped gendaito have seki or Na inspection stamps (large or small) after 1942? 

John C. 

I track that, when shown.  Several of the recoreded blades came from auction sites, and old posts no longer active, that didn't show the full nakago, nor the mune.

Having said that, it seems the vast majority of them were marked one way or another.  A lot of them were numbered.  Many had  HO, KO, SAKA, NA, and Seki stamps on the mune.  And just a few had small Seki and/or NA stamps on the nakago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

it seems the vast majority

That's what I thought. Looking specifically at a 1944 Kanenobu that does not appear to have any inspection stamps. Do you have any of his work in your lists?

John C.

On 3/16/2024 at 12:34 PM, John C said:

Looking specifically at a 1944 Kanenobu that does not appear to have any inspection stamps. Do you have any of his work in your lists?

I have 4 of his that are star-stamped.  2 Don't give views that would show any stamping, and the other 2: a '43 with a NA on the mune; and a '45 with a Seki on the mune.  The other 3, without star, are: a '41 with NA; '42 with Na Ho on mune; and a '45 with Seki.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I have 4 of his that are star-stamped. 

Thank you. Seller just got back to me and it does have the small seki. Not sure about the mune yet. Do you want the particulars of this sword for your files?

John C.

28 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

You bet

RS fittings, double latch (though may not be original); two mekugiana. Fittings in rough shape and blade rusty.

Dated: Showa 19 (1944), June

Niwa Shuji Kanenobu (son of Niwa Kanematsu Kanenobu), RJT smith.

Signed: Noshu ju Kanenobu

Star stamp and small seki stamp (unknown nakago stamp)

Painted green numbers A 540 in both kanji and western numerals

Black painted numbers 99 in kanji

No dots or stamped numbers.

John C.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 1.40.16 PM.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John C said:

of interest.

That's a unique one, John, thanks!  Fairly straight blade, attributed to Sue Mihara school (what, Koto?).  If so, they've been using these dots for quite some time, not just a WWII era practice.  I've seen single dots on older blades, but this is the first 5-group I've seen on one.  I'll file it for sure.

13 hours ago, John C said:

@Bruce Pennington

A star-stamped gendaito Tsugukiyo with stamped numbers. Not sure if you have this one recorded.

https://japaneseswor...to-by-baba-tsugukiyo

John C.

Good one, John!  Didn't have this one.  I only have 2 of his, one Aug '41 "232" before the RJT program, and the other  Mar '43, "2042".

What's your opinion of that number

image.thumb.png.277da8ddfb8f3121b063d62ab3c24b66.png

1950; 1958; 1959?

Oh, and too bad the corrosion obliterated any painted numbers!  With the tsuba stamped "70" this would have been a perfect one to test your latest painted number observations.