Arsenal Stamps.

It reads Inaba  it is a signature believed to be shared by  Nakata Isamu Kanehide and his brother Matsubara Shozo the three digits are normally seen on   

RJT blades ,likely the work of Kanehide but that is just my guess there are others on this forum with much more expertise.

John S.

Interesting symbol is the same as the first reference point ofthe 1940 navy spec drawing followed by what appears to symbols for 2 shaku could an approval stamp verifying it passed length spec ? Now that is what you call "spec."ulation.   I have only seen these on Inaba blades. 😁

John S.

• Like 1

This has caused me to review my files on Inaba, and I've re-discovered this conversation where we found a couple links to the Inaba Tanrenjo or forge. Inaba Tanrenjo Discovered.  I have been mistakenly calling all mei with this stamp "Inaba", but the stamp is found on blades with two mei, actually.  This one shown by Conway is really Inaba, and the other is Hiratoshi.

Hiratoshi                                                                          Inaba

post-5307-0-46333200-1583987715_thumb.jpeg.6bfd4a0380d94abe76b22e3290f6fa50.jpeg.5ae9d77fc5ba05754564dc66749a06a6.jpeg  image.thumb.png.0db13481cfdb309814f6479886b32738.png

I have several navy blades on file with stamped numbers, but they are very few compared to army blades.  12 are mumei, 2 are Shigemitsu, 2 Mitsunobu, 4 Hiratoshi, and this 1 Inaba.  I also have one with the Tenshozan Tanrenjo mei - all stainless except the Shigetsugu & Mitsunobu blades. 

Is this the stamp referring to the 2 shaku? Or something else? Not sure if you guys saw this post as it was on the previous page. 

Conway

13 hours ago, Conway S said:

Greetings, 

Has anyone identified this stamp? It's on an Inaba marked Kai Guntō. Thanks. 

Conway 

image.png.dcd0639bc3b9d4d565a38ce0c00c04d6.png

• Like 1

The portion highlighted in white is 襾.  However, I agree with Bruce that this is not the complete character which looks more like 酒.  However, Trystan has forgotten more than have learned so take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

Definitely looks like 酒 (sake, saka).

By itself it means liquor/wine. But I would guess it is shorthand for a location (just the same as 名 is shorthand for Nagoya arsenal). 

酒井 or 酒田 or 酒谷 or something like that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes - Kai Guntō fittings. It has a quite shrunken leather-covered wood saya. I posted a picture of the tsuka in the "Kai Gunto Tsuka Question" thread. Overall, the hardware is not in the best shape. 

Conway

1 hour ago, Conway S said:

Greetings, 

Can anyone clarify if the black fabric same found on souvenir swords was also used on wartime production swords? And if so, when does this variation appear? I am referring to the sword pictured below, which is the Inaba sword I posted in the Arsenal Stamps thread. Thanks. 

Conway 

image.thumb.png.bbc0cee3861e99e7ff7f8bb278aa3a34.png

7 hours ago, Conway S said:

Takayama Masahiro posted in the NLF thread resembles the "I" 伊 in Inaba.

Yes, I saw that too, Conway.  Just overcome by moving events to follow up.  I just checked Sesko's list of Masahiro, and he has EIGHT Showa era smiths listed!  

Inaba Tanrenjo was located in Seki (Noshu), and only one of the Masahiro in his list was from Gifu:

"MASAHIRO (正弘), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Masahiro” (正弘), real name Hattori Kazuichi (服部一市), born July 30th 1907, he worked as guntō smith"

So Inaba isn't part of his real name.  Maybe the mei is indicating he was Masahiro of Inaba Tanrenjo.  

3 hours ago, mecox said:

Bruce, Hattori Masahiro is discussed here with examples:  

Thanks Mal,

I checked your write-up and it states he worked at the Toyokawa forge, so maybe he's not our guy on this one.  The mei in all your examples is completely different too.

Seeing that Sesko lists 8 of them, and knowing that his record doesn't always have every WWII smith we come across, it's possible this Inaba Masahiro was simply one of the unknowns.

Another mystery.

@Bruce Pennington Check out page 30 left hand side of the pdf shown above. There is a Hattori Masahiro mei without the polisher reference. I assume the sword in souvenir fittings I am referencing is a Hattori Masahiro sword. It has the Takayama-to short & thick kissaki.

***I don't want to take this great thread on arsenal stamps on too much of a diversion... Let me know if there is a more appropriate thread to move this discussion to. Thanks. 

Conway