Japanese Kaigunto/ Possible family heirloom

Hi!! I have a vet bring back sword given to me by grandmother(grandfather died in the 60's) so he was not around to tell me about it.

Through my research i have found that it is a Japanese Kaigunto or atleast has Kaigunto furnature, Others on a different militaria site say the blade itslefe may be quite older than its WWII fitings. The only problem is that i dont read Japanese. I would greatly apreciate if someone would tranlate the signature.

I also included a pic of the tip of the sword that shows the Hamon as it is a beutiful part of the sword. Unfortunatly there is a knick on the tip but the one you see is the only flaw. If you would like, i can also upload pics of the furnature. Thanks again

Majorkonig

post-2160-14196784381329_thumb.jpg

post-2160-1419678438162_thumb.jpg

post-2160-14196784382638_thumb.jpg

post-2160-14196784383983_thumb.jpg

post-2160-14196784384423_thumb.jpg

post-2160-14196784384864_thumb.jpg

(Seki stamp) Noshu Seki ju Hattori Masahiro saku

Made by Hattori Masahiro of Seki, (in Noshu)

As David wrote while I was typing this...

Seki stamp indicates a non-traditionally made blade.

This is a WWII era blade.

does that mean this was maching made or was it hand forged but forged from a diferent grade steel or forged using a different method?

A traditionally made blade is made 1) using tamahagane 2) forged in the traditional manner, including folding the steel to even out the carbon content of the steel so that it is homogeneous 3) hardened using yakire with water as a quenching medium.

Now if it is lacking in one of those requirements, it is non-traditional. Mill steel, for example, doesn't need the traditional folding because the carbon content is already homogeneous. OTOH mill steel might be folded 2-3 times because that increases the toughness of a blade, as indicated by a Charpy test. A non-traditional blade might also be quenched in oil; some steels (e.g. tool steels) are designed to be quenched in oil. Oil quenched steels have low distortion, which makes them ideal for tool making. Quench such a steel in water and it may break or crack.

Kevin

Was there more than 1 Hattori Masahiro? The signature on mine does not match and it has no Seki stamp.

Mine is a takayama sword

Translates as

Left

Right

Respectfully Made Takayama Sword

Polisher hommura Kosaemon

Sword smith Hattori masahiro

Russell

post-194-14196784423336_thumb.jpg

Dear All

Fuller has a note of a Hatrtori Masahiro with thickened blade tip

Takayama (prison forge) Masahiro --- Hattori Masahiro

Hattori Masahiro -- not know if this is the same as the other two.

So MY guess is there is one Masahiro that had more than one person do the signing????

Just a thought

david mcdonald

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..