Share your early iron tosogu

Winchester

Pretty much all I own, this should get the momentum going.

Two Nidai Yamakichibei, both in his fully developed, individual style.  First a spring theme Sakura and Ume accented by the matsukawabishi, a popular pattern on period textiles and commonly paired with floral desings.  To me this piece radiates flower viewing vibes.

The second shifts to a later season with a strong Autumnal feel.  The drizzle motif (Shigure) and boars eye (Inome) are characteristic of this time of year.  A masterpiece which leaves the viewer with a chill, you can feel and hear the rain, smell the crisp air and fallen leaves.

IMG_20211127_141553019_HDR~3.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Two more, getting slightly earlier now into late Muromachi/Momoyama. 

A large and imposing Ko-Katchushi with a snowstorm design of equal ferocity.  Beautifully composed despite its busy plate, the sign of a true master lost to time. Note the pronounced counterclockwise tilt of the form, an often seen feature of pre-Edo guards.

Lastly we arrive back in early spring when the warabi, or bracken ferns emerge from the recently thawed earth (we call them fiddleheads where I'm from).  A favorite motif of mine that instantly transports me this time of year, walks in the woods and foraging for these fleeting delicacies. 

IMG_20211103_143548339_HDR.jpg

FB_IMG_1729349835357.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Hera are some of mine

Tosho, cherry and plum blossoms

fitting-0055_1.thumb.jpg.845dff80d18e95c8026c9e4c3df49034.jpg

Umetada, plum blossoms.

fitting-0068_1.thumb.jpg.9a76ff175c28928100020d21444de0c6.jpg

Katchushi , kukurizaru under the rain

fitting-0076_1.thumb.jpg.f3c47f2a6ac57065d337add2c6d83df3.jpg

Nobuie, Tortoise shell pattern with sakura.

fitting-0112_1.thumb.jpg.c03de20556722c92eb2e3093be17c781.jpg

Nobuie, gourds, arabesque, clumps of bamboo leaves, and tortoise shell pattern on themimi

fitting-0113_1.thumb.jpg.327ce24fa57d6d3758dca5c0cf416f42.jpg

I hope you enjoy them.

Regards 

Luca

• Like 5
  • Love 4

Great thread. I tend to focus on Higo and Owari, so will offer up an old Kanayama as my contribution.

Interesting in that it is somewhat concave on one side. You can see it in the second photo, thought it would be more evident if photo was in winter light.

That would seem to be a kantei point for some of the 1500s Kanayama.

2024 Old Kanayama 01.JPG

2024 Old Kanayama 05.JPG

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jake, It's possible that has the Maeda clan mon? Lovely piece and does seem early.

Big, thank you for sharing. I really like constellation / moon tsuba, but do not have one presently.

Thank you, Brian and Zachary. I am not an expert commentator by any means, but it seems evident that both have significant age and the iron gets a particular 'tell' to it from these periods--along with the other clues. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Winchester said:

Hi Jake, It's possible that has the Maeda clan mon? Lovely piece and does seem early.

Big, thank you for sharing. I really like constellation / moon tsuba, but do not have one presently.

Thank you, Brian and Zachary. I am not an expert commentator by any means, but it seems evident that both have significant age and the iron gets a particular 'tell' to it from these periods--along with the other clues. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Yes I believe so, which is why I suggested it may be from Kaga! I'm pleased other observers have also picked up on it!

Most of my collection are more artistic ornamental (mid-late) Edo Period pieces but I want to build a collection of 4 pre-Edo tsuba with mon such as this one if I can find them!

• Love 1

Here is what I believe to be a Ko-tosho tsuba from one of my blades, came mounted on a 29.5" Sukesada. Interestingly, it has a very prominent kirikomi on the rim to the side of the sukashi cutout. It is a superbly thin piece, barely a few millimeters in thickness, but 3.5" across!

20241022_014511.jpg

20241022_014823.jpg

• Like 2

Chris,

it is probably a nice TSUBA you have there, but we do not see much of the beauty. To be fully appreciated, your TSUBA images should be:

- well focused, not foggy or blurry
- made with a dark, non reflective background for good contrast
- made with light from the side (may not apply for HAMON photos)
- made directly from above (not at an angle)
- made in high resolution to see details
- presented as cut-outs so very little background is shown

If you cannot provide good photos (..."these photos are all I have from the dealer...."/..."I do not have a good camera but only an old mobile phone...." ), DO NOT POST BAD ONES. They cannot show what you want us to see.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

Chris,

it is probably a nice TSUBA you have there, but we do not see much of the beauty. To be fully appreciated, your TSUBA images should be:

- well focused, not foggy or blurry
- made with a dark, non reflective background for good contrast
- made with light from the side (may not apply for HAMON photos)
- made directly from above (not at an angle)
- made in high resolution to see details
- presented as cut-outs so very little background is shown

If you cannot provide good photos (..."these photos are all I have from the dealer...."/..."I do not have a good camera but only an old mobile phone...." ), DO NOT POST BAD ONES. They cannot show what you want us to see.

This is all Brian will let you say now, eh?

:)