Torio Hiromasa with removed stamp

I have an opportunity to buy this sword signed Yoshū Hōjō-jū Hiromasa saku.  Purportedly it's dated spring 1945 but I don't have any pictures of that side of the nakago.  There are two matsuyama "YAMA" stamps on the spine of the nakago. 

When I was looking at the pictures on my phone, I thought it looked pretty good, other than a modern-looking brass habaki which I took as a sign that the koshirae is put together.

Now that I've had a chance to look at the pictures on my computer, I'm deeply disturbed by what appears to be a mostly removed SHO stamp above the mei.  What do you guys think? 

OYPjD_K_-Copy.thumb.jpg.e8f659d2f8838eb48e135d5dd6ae3b10.jpg

gcFrvSq-.thumb.jpg.55bb63f912764a1d2336ab3b49a7fe9b.jpgRvwjBUOM.thumb.jpg.0920ea41eb6f99b1f12f335d43d497b0.jpgwfxX6h3_.thumb.jpg.8ccb28069e0089445692ad1c1d323adc.jpgdy3U2tl6.thumb.jpg.36833d83fa63cb9f40bd15df851bf79f.jpg

Edited by RobCarter3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The location you marked is usually where the "Star" stamp was located.  If the sword came via Japan in the postwar years, the "Star" stamp could have been removed, so as to register the sword with the authorities.  Wartime stamps were frowned upon, including the "Star" stamp.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a really nice looking gunto!  Assuming the seller has the date correctly, that's the latest date I have for the Yama stamp, and the latest date I have of a Hiromasa blade.

I can clearly see the star.  And I see no reason to doubt the originality of the habaki.  Springs of '45 is quite late in the war.  Many parts were being made with lower quality standards by that time.

@mecox

• Like 1

• RobCarter3 changed the title to Torio Hiromasa with removed stamp
5 hours ago, RobCarter3 said:

I'm deeply disturbed by what appears to be a mostly removed SHO stamp above the mei.

Hiromasa 博正 was from Ehime Prefecture 愛媛県.  The 昭 stamp was only used in Gifu Prefecture.  So it would be impossible for it to be that stamp.

For more information about Hiromasa and Ehime Prefecture, I would suggest taking a look at the monograph below.

Showa Period Swordsmiths of Ehime Prefecture

• Like 3

Hiromasa was a prolific  and capable smith and also worked closely with Kokura arsenal.  The erased stamp would have been a star as @Kiipu noted.  A late war date of 1945 is most likely and is indicated by the 2 x "yama"  山 stamps on nakago mune.  This suggests blade may have been submitted and made at Matsuyama branch.   There is some discussion of this in paper on Fukuoka/Kokura smiths in Downloads:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Kiipu said:

Hiromasa 博正 was from Ehime Prefecture 愛媛県.  The 昭 stamp was only used in Gifu Prefecture.  So it would be impossible for it to be that stamp.

I know that a gendaito by an Ehime smith would never have a Seki/Gifu commercial association stamp.  I was about to buy the sword and then noticed a removed stamp and alarm bells started going off that this was a komonjo-type special where someone had applied a spurious Hiromasa mei to a Seki showato, despite all the other indications that the mei looked right, "yama" stamps check out, hamon is in Hiromasa's characteristic Bizen style choji-midare, blade is obviously water quenched, etc. 

You and the others are obviously correct that it's a removed star stamp.  Very glad I came here and sought opinions from more experienced eyes. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 9:40 AM, RobCarter3 said:

Purportedly it's dated spring 1945 but I don't have any pictures of that side of the nakago.

When the dust settles, please post a picture of this side of the tang.  Also, can you see the outline of the removed stamp or is it completely obliterated?

• Like 1

On 9/17/2024 at 1:36 PM, Kiipu said:

When the dust settles, please post a picture of this side of the tang.  Also, can you see the outline of the removed stamp or is it completely obliterated?

The sword is finally in hand after USPS misplaced it for 5 days.  I cannot see the outline of the stamp -- it was thoroughly removed. 

39.thumb.JPG.9627940f612e10c1d792a85208b07273.JPG41.thumb.JPG.6dc12b88c28125197eede5f708968338.JPG44.thumb.JPG.cd873ea49fa84e69dd902e5666d710c4.JPG

45.thumb.JPG.921d5defbc19a85dff034816c85fe2a0.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A star seems the most likely.  I only have 4 other HIromasa with various stamps on file and 3 of them are star stamped.  The other does not.  The only other stamp that would be a primary suspect on that spot, in 1945, is the Gifu stamp, but with Hiromasa being from Ehime, that seems pretty unlikely.  So, I've filed it as a likely star stamp blade.