A Buddhist symbol on tsuba

Dan tsuba

Does anybody else have a tsuba with this Buddhist motif?  Care to share pictures?

“In Buddhism, the swastika is considered to symbolize the auspicious footprints of the Buddha. The left-facing swastika is often imprinted on the chest, feet or palms of Buddha images. It is an aniconic symbol for the Buddha in many parts of Asia and homologous with the dharma wheel.”

So, I just received a tsuba which shows that symbol.  I think it is a nice piece!

I also have my daisho tsuba which shows the same symbol (although those symbols are very small).

Two pictures are shown below-

IMG_3729.JPG

daisho tsuba 2.JPG

• Like 2

Dan,

the sawastika is called manji , the pattern on the second one is called sayagata 紗綾形. There are many Tsuba with this auspicious pasttern.

Here's one of mine with some kind of manji:

leaves01.thumb.jpg.21866056c94c6f529aad079740a53d0f.jpg

Best,

Florian

• Like 8

The Hachisuka of Awa and Tokushima used this as their Mon, and a close family branch family used the reversed Manji.

For a while the first and second lords became Christian and used a bladed cross as their Mon during the Momoyama and early Edo battle periods, but later under the repressions they hid the cross, reverting to the traditional Manji.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FlorianB said:

Dan,

the sawastika is called manji , the pattern on the second one is called sayagata 紗綾形. There are many Tsuba with this auspicious pasttern.

Here's one of mine with some kind of manji:

leaves01.thumb.jpg.21866056c94c6f529aad079740a53d0f.jpg

Best,

Florian

Elegant one. I like it.

Yes, the manji has been around a long long time and got culturally appropriated. I forget which western American Indian tribe also used it as a symbol long ago.