Fuchigashira with Hannya and Inro Design

Jake6500

So there is a high quality papered fuchigashira on Jauce right now that reminds me of late Edo (Murakami or Ishiguro?) work.

There aren't many Tsuba on Jauce that suit my interests right now so I'm considering making a bid on this instead.

Thoughts about attribution? The authenticity cert. dates back to the old system (green paper) which is also interesting.

I don't see Tosogu with green papers floating around all that often.

https://www.jauce.com/auction/t1139567998

i-img1200x900-1717737943hcrl8q164744.jpg

2 hours ago, 1kinko said:

The Hanna face is very poorly carved- nothing like Ishiguro or Murakami skill.

It doesn't seem that bad to me. Doesn't match up to some Murakami Jochiku masterpiece but I don't think it's "poor". Also, the design uses embedded stones which was pretty uncommon and should narrow down the origins.

Having checked some examples again I'm thinking Hirata is a closer fit. There are examples of Hirata works using the same or similar type of red stone from prior forum threads: 

image.png.2d335f4de6998bd9328100d74d903a69.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian said:

I think the red stones are coral. Don't remember where I heard that though.

Thanks for the lead Brian, I will spend some time trying to read about the use of coral to see if I can find out more!

Edit: You probably read that these stones were coral from the thread by Ford Hallam I linked above. Originally I just posted it for the image without having a proper read through but Ford states as much in the link above!