Wild things

Bugyotsuji

Pushed forwards, over on Matt's rats 'n mice thread, by Colin et al, :laughing: I find myself setting up a thread here for Tosogu illustrating wildlife. I am thinking animals, but I guess 'wilding' is a fashion nowadays, so the greenery which surrounds and supports animal life could be included too.

If there are no replies, I will add a photo here in due course, with something to prime the pumps. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, robinalexander said:

Is this animal, mineral or vegetable?

Hi Rob, imo they are tied bundle of some type of foliage with perhaps one flower showing. They look like long thin leaves and in one image you can clearly see some sort of binding strap holding them together. Wonder if they  represent some type of Shinto offering? Dunno, but my money is on plant.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, robinalexander said:

Is this animal, mineral or vegetable?

Just had another Quick Look, could be bundles of Yuzuriha leaves…..a sacred Shinto plant that does yield globular flowers (or maybe it’s fruit)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DoTanuki yokai said:

Rob I would guess it is vegetable but it’s hard to see under the Ito. 

Jesta I wonder your Nanako on the turtle Tsuba is not round but little squares, is this a common thing or points to a specific school ? 

Thanks for highlighting this.

I think that it might be a trick of the light, but I am not sure. I had not really compared the shape to others before, but now I will give it some thought. I am sure that there are others on the board who might be able to comment in more detail.