Help identifying?

Unfortnately it is unsigned and has too much rust/pitting to really see the hamon. The nakago has been filed and shortened. Given the length of the nakago, even with the shortening, and the high curvature, it seems like it might be a tachi older than an Edo period? The only writing is on the iron tsuba. Thanks.

IMG_8155.jpeg

IMG_8093.jpeg

IMG_8096.jpeg

IMG_8098.jpeg

IMG_8100.jpeg

IMG_8101.jpeg

IMG_8104.jpeg

IMG_8107.jpeg

IMG_8108.jpeg

IMG_8150.jpeg

IMG_8145.jpeg

IMG_8142.jpeg

IMG_8140.jpeg

IMG_8137.jpeg

IMG_8128.jpeg

Unfortunately, I believe this is a fake. The profile and the look of the tang appears crude and not right. The shinogi into the kissaki looks off to me. 

More than likely not Japanese. 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news…

And a second opinion never hurts. 

-Sam

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, GeorgeLuucas said:

Unfortunately, I believe this is a fake. The profile and the look of the tang appears crude and not right. The shinogi into the kissaki looks off to me. 

More than likely not Japanese. 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news…

And a second opinion never hurts. 

-Sam

Think the kissaki is correct. It is just hard to see with the condition it is in. The tang has been heavily filed and shortened. 

IMG_8167.jpeg

Sorry, I have to agree with Sam and Chris... The tang is of particular concern - I wonder how it is actually attached to the rest of the sword under the habaki? It doesn't look like there is a shinogi line that continues to the very end, and is very uneven.

Its not a genuine Japanese sword. Tsuba is cast, fittings are junk, nakago is ground down,shinogi is off, nakago-ana is drilled way to far down, and it has a brass habaki which is a pretty standard on fakes. Only gunto usually tend to have them. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Josh Grossman said:

Think the kissaki is correct. It is just hard to see with the condition it is in. The tang has been heavily filed and shortened. 

IMG_8167.jpeg

You are more than welcome to attend the next Indiana Token Kai meeting and bring it for an in-hand assessment by our members. You'll also have the opportunity to see and handle many legitimate nihonto there!

We meet every third Saturday of each month, 10am to 2pm, downtown Martinsville Library. Message me if you'd like directions/details.

• Like 3

Josh,

for the next sword (hopefully a genuine one), please show better photos. They should be

- well focused and not blurry
- made with a dark, non reflective background for good contrast
- made with light from the side (may not apply for HAMON photos)
- made from directly above (not at an angle)
- made with correct orientation (tip-upwards, especially NAKAGO photos) 
- without HABAKI but showing the MACHI and NAKAGO JIRI 
- made in high resolution to see details
- showing details of the sword like BOSHI, HAMACHI, HAMON, HADA, NAKAGO JIRI etc.
- presented as cut-outs so very little background is shown (we don't want to see your bed)