WW2 Sword translation confirmation

I recently was handed a WW2 Japanese sword that a friend won at auction. it has no paperwork and i am trying to find as much information as I can from the markings. I believe I have translated some of it and identified the proof mark but don't want to add bias to anyone's translation. I have detained pictures attached of all the marks and over all in furniture. 

I appreciate any assistance this community can provide. I plan to become a regular here as time progresses.

Katana 1480 Side 2 Markings 1.jpg

Katana 1480 Side 2 Markings 2.jpg

Katana side 1 mark 1.jpg

Katana side 1 mark 2.jpg

katana side 2 mark 1.jpg

katana side 2 mark 2.jpg

katana side 2 mark 3_4.jpg

Katana side 2 mark 5.jpg

Katana Upper Mark.jpg

Katana 1480 ID.jpg

Katana 1480 Markings Side 1.jpg

• Like 1

@spellsword   William, there is very little info on this smith, mainly due to his age.  His tosho name (on the blade) is Tadayuki   忠行 and the date is Showa 17 (1942) but no month is shown.  In a list of swordsmiths by Sesko:  TADAYUKI (忠行),  Gifu – “Tadayuki” (忠行), real name Kawamura Ichizō (河村一三) given name can also be read as Kazumi.  He was born February 1st 1924 (Taisho 13), so he made this blade when he was 18.   He registered as a Seki smith on Showa 16 (1941) November 7 at age 17 (which is young).  He was living in Seki-machi, Daimin-cho (suburbs of Seki City).  He worked as guntō smith.   In 1942 there was a list ranking around 400 Japanese smiths, but he is not in it, no doubt his age and few examples of work.  Your blade also has a Seki stamp, showing not traditionally made.  Also note the cutting of name and date is a bit rough.  The mekugi ana (hole) looks to be enlarged (Is this to fit the koshirae?).

• Like 1

Thank you all for the data and info, this confirms much of what i had found in my own research. I had yet to match the smith's name so that information was greatly helpful.

I may have another project coming my way so I will be posting again soon, once I have translated what I can.

Again thank you all for the information and confirmation.

On 8/27/2024 at 7:47 PM, mecox said:

@spellsword   William, there is very little info on this smith, mainly due to his age.  His tosho name (on the blade) is Tadayuki   忠行 and the date is Showa 17 (1942) but no month is shown.  In a list of swordsmiths by Sesko:  TADAYUKI (忠行),  Gifu – “Tadayuki” (忠行), real name Kawamura Ichizō (河村一三) given name can also be read as Kazumi.  He was born February 1st 1924 (Taisho 13), so he made this blade when he was 18.   He registered as a Seki smith on Showa 16 (1941) November 7 at age 17 (which is young).  He was living in Seki-machi, Daimin-cho (suburbs of Seki City).  He worked as guntō smith.   In 1942 there was a list ranking around 400 Japanese smiths, but he is not in it, no doubt his age and few examples of work.  Your blade also has a Seki stamp, showing not traditionally made.  Also note the cutting of name and date is a bit rough.  The mekugi ana (hole) looks to be enlarged (Is this to fit the koshirae?).

I believe the mekugi ana was enlarged by one of the previous owners to make it easier for assembly.  

William,

for the next presentation of sword photos, here are some recommendations:

To be helpful for a comment, photos of swords and especially NAKAGO should be

- well focused, not blurry or foggy
- made with a dark, non reflective background for good contrast
- made with light from the side (may not apply for HAMON photos)
- made from directly above (not at an angle)
- made with correct orientation (tip-upwards
- without HABAKI but showing the MACHI and NAKAGO JIRI 
- made with high resolution to see details
- showing details of the sword like BOSHI, HAMACHI, HAMON, HADA, NAKAGO JIRI etc.
- presented as cut-outs so very little background is seen. We do not need to see your bed.

• Like 1