Information on kabuto

jason c

I was looking if somebody could help provide some more information about this kabuto helmet i bought a couple of weeks back the seller said its from the edo period. The half moon piece in the center is a replacement piece that came with it.

If anyone could provide information about the kamon that would be great too.

IMG-20240826-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240826-WA0001.jpg

20240826_100359.jpg

Jason, these were (and still are) created mainly for their decorative value and historical connotations. Many people enjoy them like that.

Even if it were from the Edo period, it would still be a reproduction of a much earlier type of armor which died out long before the Edo period.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Jason, these were (and still are) created mainly for their decorative value and historical connotations. Many people enjoy them like that.

Even if it were from the Edo period, it would still be a reproduction of a much earlier type of armor which died out long before the Edo period.

Thank you for your reply,

Would you know what era it is a reproduction from, and aslo do you know what the value would be seeing as it was still possibly made in the edo period.

Thank you.

30 minutes ago, moriarty said:

The Dragon Kamon should be:

日蓮宗龍の丸--Nichiren-ryu no Maru

Thank you, I have still had trouble finding out much information about this family crest so if you possibly have any information on the kamon then that would be very helpful aswell.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, jason c said:

Thank you for your reply,

Would you know what era it is a reproduction from, and aslo do you know what the value would be seeing as it was still possibly made in the edo period.

Thank you.

No, I do not know when it was made, Jason, nor what the value might be. Whatever someone would pay for it...(?)

My personal feeling from little signs here and there is that it was made sometime during the 1900s, but I have no proof. I am sure others will add their opinions later today, both subtle and unsubtle, and they may well say that I am wrong. This is why I did not really want to say much more. 

7 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

No, I do not know when it was made, Jason, nor what the value might be. Whatever someone would pay for it...(?)

My personal feeling from little signs here and there is that it was made sometime during the 1900s, but I have no proof. I am sure others will add ther opinions later today, and they may well say that I am wrong. This is why I did not really want to say much more. 

Thank you for your opinion, im sure i will get a lot more information on this as time goes on.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jason c said:

Děkuji za váš názor, postupem času se o tom dozvím mnohem více informací.

There is nothing more to learn. It's fun for 200-300 usd, no point in continuing to deal with it

2 hours ago, YOJIMBO said:

There is nothing more to learn. It's fun for 200-300 usd, no point in continuing to deal with it

Ok thank you, just for the future what signs are there that it is a genuine kabuto or not.

Hi Jason,

I’m afraid I’ve to agree with most of the above said. What I think, based on the few pics you provided, that it is a 20th century  copy (at best). Furthermore I assume the “decoration” at the fukigaeshi (the coiled dragon) is not a mon, but merely an adornment….sry!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lewis B said:

Can you confirm if this is a mold line. If yes and you can see others then I don't think its a traditionally made Menpo. 

Untitled57.thumb.jpg.0108d2a2ed69308efb514985c5d0bffb.jpg

Im not too sure if this is a mold line on the helmet, If it is then it was well covered up on the inside and out

The bottom picture is a rivet that is in the mask, I dont know if this can provide any more information on how they built it.

I bought the kabuto whith not too much knowledge on the subject but i still think that it is a great decorative piece.

17246983916273061958950060120328.jpg

IMG-20240826-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20240826-WA0004.jpg

I can’t make it out…🤔
Please show a picture of the hooks (orekugi) on the cheeks!

BTW, the nosepiece (hana) looks different than the mask itself💡

Just saw your new pictures….replica, IMHO!

9 minutes ago, uwe said:

I can’t make it out…🤔
Please show a picture of the hooks (orekugi) on the cheeks!

BTW, the nosepiece (hana) looks different than the mask itself💡

Just saw your new pictures….replica, IMHO!

Ok thank you, here is a picture of the hooks aswell.

IMG-20240826-WA0005.jpg

1 hour ago, Luc T said:

A typical modern replica indeed, in a bad state of preservation 

Thank you for your reply.

Just how modern do you think it is, as in is it early or late 20th century, or this century.

If it is a replica it is a very high quality one with all the designs hand painted and a lot of other intricate details.

Here is another kabuto very similar to this and comes with a yoroi (armour). So would that one be a replica too?

IMG-20240828-WA0000.jpg

3 hours ago, jason c said:

děkuji za odpověď.

Jak si myslíte, že je moderní, jak je to na začátku nebo na konci 20. století nebo v tomto století.

Pokud se jedná o repliku, jedná se o velmi kvalitní se všemi ručně malovanými vzory a spoustou dalších složitých detailů.

Zde je další kabuto velmi podobné tomuto a přichází s yoroi (brnění). Takže by to byla také replika?

IMG-20240828-WA0000.jpg

Yes, same sh...t