Kaneaki help

Hi Everyone,

I have a ww2 blade in Gunto mounts.

The blade is in a sad state of polish with no details that can be seen but I can see a suguha hamon in the right light. The Mei is I believe " Suikosai Kaneaki Tsukuru Kore Wo ", 粹光斉兼明造之.

IMG_0877.thumb.jpg.2fea874b6482e99d04d5450ce38d7794.jpg

I have a number of reference books but cannot find much information on him?

What I have found is a reference to him on the Japanese Sword index under Showa swordsmiths and a reference on the WWW to a Japanese site showing a papered example which is almost identical to mine apart from it has a Tan stamp and mine has a Showa stamp.

刀 (刻印・鍛)粹光斎兼明 昭和十七年二月日 Katana [Seikousai_Kaneaki]日本刀 刀剣販売 サムライ商会[samurai shokai]

kt.thumb.jpg.49eb9d0f800d686e3c51b2750623e03c.jpg

So it would be great if anyone has any info on Suikosai Kaneaki that they could share with me please.

Many thanks in advance

All the best

• Like 1

Don't know if you have this already from Sesko's book:

"KANEAKI (兼明), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Nōshū-jū Kuriyama Kaneaki saku” (濃州栗山住兼明作), real name Kuriyama Kenjirō (栗山鍵次郎), born in December 1888, student of Watanabe Kanenaga (渡辺兼永), Niwa Kanenobu (丹羽兼信) and of Fujiwara Kanezumi (藤原兼住), he worked as a guntō smith and died on August 23rd 1966, jōkō no retsu (Akihide), Second Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)"

I don't know why Markus' book doesn't list him as RJT qual'ed buy his is on the RJT list and Slough has an oshigata from him with the star:

Kaneaki43Star.thumb.jpg.c7f649db3201677f5f6e43d0494c67e3.jpg

@Mark Cand @Bruce Pennington there is a bit of confusion with Kaneaki smiths. 

The sword Mark has is:

KANEAKI (兼明):  (濃州栗山兼明), real name Kuriyama Kenjirō (栗山鍵次郎), born in December 1888, student of Watanabe Kanenaga (渡辺兼永), (main sensei) Niwa Kanenobu (丹羽兼信) and of Fujiwara Kanezumi (藤原兼住), he worked as a guntō smith and died on August 23rd 1966, jōkō no retsu (Akihide), Second Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941). 

He is Slough p 37 & 38.  Born Meiji 21 ( 1888) December 4 and from Gifu, Kamo-gun, Kajita-mura. He registered as Seki smith Showa 14 (1939) Oct 25, age 50.   He was also called Suikosai, probably his "go" or art name.  (Suikosai Kaneaki  粹光斉兼明).   He also used the Tan stamp.

The other Kaneaki in Slough (p 38) is:

KANEAKI (兼晃),  real name Kuriyama Mineo (栗山三子夫), son of Kuriyama Akihide (栗山昭秀), born February 1st 1915 (Taisho 4), he worked as a rikugun-jumei-tōshō and died December 3rd 1944, jōkō no retsu (Akihide).   He was also from Kamo-gun, Kajita-mura  and registered as a Seki tosho in Showa 17 (1942) March 5, age 27.  His given name Mineo, and  in the Seki record the kanji used is 三甲夫 (different in Sesko).  I did not find a "Kuriyama Akihide (栗山昭秀)", maybe this is his father Kuriyama Kenjiro?  He died early at 29 in 1944.

Of interest is:

兼昌 Kanemasa (栗山 進 Kuriyama Susumu) [presumably born in Kajita]. Born: 1922 (Taisho 11). Listed as the son of Kuriyama Kaneaki. He is not in Seki Registration list.
He was killed in WW2 13 May, 1943 (age 21) presumably conscripted or volunteered. It is assumed he trained under his father Kuriyama Kaneaki, and licenced around 1940.
1941: 6th shinsakuto exhibition 4th level of 5.   1942: Tosho Banzuke 6th level of 7 (Chuge Saku).

There is also:

KANEAKI (兼昭 real name Fukuda Tomio (福田富夫), born March 1st 1918 (Taisho 7), from Gifu, Bugi-gun, Naka-machi and registered Showa 17 (1942) March 5, age 24.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, mecox said:

KANEAKI (兼明):  (濃州栗山兼明), real name Kuriyama Kenjirō (栗山鍵次郎), born in December 1888, student of Watanabe Kanenaga (渡辺兼永), (main sensei) Niwa Kanenobu (丹羽兼信) and of Fujiwara Kanezumi (藤原兼住), he worked as a guntō smith and died on August 23rd 1966, jōkō no retsu (Akihide), Second Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941). 

He is Slough p 37 & 38.  Born Meiji 21 ( 1888) December 4 and from Gifu, Kamo-gun, Kajita-mura. He registered as Seki smith Showa 14 (1939) Oct 25, age 50.   He was also called Suikosai, probably his "go" or art name.  (Suikosai Kaneaki  粹光斉兼明).   He also used the Tan stamp.

The other Kaneaki in Slough (p 38) is:

KANEAKI (兼晃),  real name Kuriyama Mineo (栗山三子夫), son of Kuriyama Akihide (栗山昭秀), born February 1st 1915 (Taisho 4), he worked as a rikugun-jumei-tōshō and died December 3rd 1944, jōkō no retsu (Akihide).   He was also from Kamo-gun, Kajita-mura  and registered as a Seki tosho in Showa 17 (1942) March 5, age 27.  His given name Mineo, and  in the Seki record the kanji used is 三甲夫 (different in Sesko).  I did not find a "Kuriyama Akihide (栗山昭秀)", maybe this is his father Kuriyama Kenjiro?  He died early at 29 in 1944.

Ok, looks like I have some updating to do to my chart and files.  

On Suikosia (Kuriyama) - any idea why Slough said his name was Kuriyama Kagijiro?

image.thumb.jpeg.ee2b4003ad73ce6e3bc17d04192c7437.jpeg

Bruce,

Kagi 键 is the Japanese pronunciation (Kunyomi)whereas Ken is the pronunciation derived from the Chinese pronunciation (Onyomi). I found this distinction when I couldn’t find a smith by the “Yama” pronunciation of 山. 

Conway 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow - Thank you Mal.

You are correct, I'm totally confused and wonder, like Bruce as to why Slough doesn't mention this fact.

Going to my sword, I am aware that every sword should be judged on it's own merits and it is a shame that I really can tell you no more regarding the hada, hamon and activities.

Mine also has the showa stamp which indicates non-traditional materials/methods. Something else that isn't mentioned.

Again, Thank you Mal, Bruce, Piers and Conway.

All the best

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mecox said:

KANEAKI (兼晃),  real name Kuriyama Mineo (栗山三子夫), son of Kuriyama Akihide (栗山昭秀), born February 1st 1915 (Taisho 4), he worked as a rikugun-jumei-tōshō

Getting complicated already.  Found an old post by @kelibus HERE showing a KANEAKI (兼明) nakago.  He doesn't show the star or date, but simply states they are present, at the end of this thread.  

image.jpeg.8015c9bff5b8dfc2ba40a9b7234c3625.jpeg

• Like 1

@Mark C & @Bruce Pennington  here's a summary of pics I could find.                                                                                                                                                                                                                         NAME:  KANEAKI      Kuriyama Kenjirō   栗山 鍵次郎 (could be pronounced Kenjiro or Kagijiro).   Has a “go” art name of 粹光斎 Suikousai. Nakago commonly has tip of pointed iriyama-gata shape, and yasurime filing of takanoha. Some blades have two mekugi ana (upper and lower).   Common Sho-sakura stamp, also Tan stamp.  He is an early gendai swordsmith in Gifu (see NMB Downloads)   

A.  Suikousai Kaneaki     Showa 17 (1942) February.   Nagasa: 66.6 cm    sori:   1.6 cm    hamon:  suguka.  Two mekugi ana.  NBTHK paper.  (Samurai Shokai).

B.   Suikousai Kaneaki tsukuru kore wo.   Showa 16 (1941) July.  Sho/sakura stamp. (armouryantiques.com)

C.  Suikousai Kaneaki tsukuru kore wo. Sho/sakura stamp.  Two mekugi ana.  (F&G #226).

D.  Wo motte Yasuki Tetsu Kuriyama Kaneaki saku.  “made with Yasuki steel from iron sands”).  Sho/sakura stamp.  Two mekugi ana.   (F&G #12).

E.  Noshu ju Kuriyama Kaneaki saku      Teiten Nyusen Kinpai Juryo  Gold medal (Kin Pai) in Imperial Exhibition. Exhibitions giving this award were held from Showa 10 (1935) except 1937 no exhibition as not enough tosho, as many away in China. From Showa 15 (1940) there were also different awards. Records show  in 4th exhibition (1939) and 5th (1940) won Kinpai (gold medals). Probably is 1939. (Slough p.38;  F&G #351).  This is the same sword in both references.   F&G also add:  “an excellent quality gendaito with thight masame hada and a suguha maidare hamon. A heavy blade tapering to a small point.

F. Noshu ju Kuriyama Kaneaki saku. Blade has two close mekugi ana.  Of note is a TAN stamp.  (Slough p. 37). G. Kuriyama Kaneaki saku kore. Mei is rougly cut and not by Kaneaki, probably a workshop line.    (Slough p. 37)

H.  Suikousai Kaneaki Tsukuru Kore Wo    粹光斉兼明造之.   Sho/sakura stamp.  Suguha hamon.  Two mekugi ana.   (Mark C, NMB).

I.  Kuriyama Kaneaki.    Reported to have star stamp and to be dated on reverse.    (Claes Kelibus, NMB)

J. Suikousai Kaneaki tsukuru kore wo.  Has TAN stamp.  (Japanese Sword Index, Rick Stein)

K. Suikousai Kaneaki saku kore.  Nagasa: 67.3 cm, sori: 1.6 cm.  Two mekugi ana.  No stamp obvious.  Nakago tip has been rounded?  Modern remount in katana koshirae.  (Yahoo Japan Auction).

image.png.1aa9a46a8705650ec839902f3418f002.pngaki2.png.2ede7394f449bea4e4cead8ec2b4a94a.png aki3.png.79f22f47cacafc0cf6114f20422e57ce.pngaki4.png.6489476f750e73ee455975d12a6f2faf.pngaki5.png.8762539f45c8b632e783cbae8778e11b.pngaki6.png.a609322cdf1d03e87bea3301015764ce.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Excellent summary, Mal.  I would note that "A." from Samurai Shokai also has the Tan stamp.  

I also have a Kuriyama Kaneaki, no date, with the large Seki stamp, from Helmetluvva, Wehrmacht-awards

x.jpg.febad7050a5431f2b85363bf570dd714.jpg

And the following with tan stamps.  

Tan

1940, Feb

Kaneaki, Suikosai明 – Gifu

Bangbangsan, NMB

1941, Aug

Kanetsune – Gifu

Yahoo Auction

Sadatsugu – Gifu

Hxv, NMB

1942, Jan