Mei translation assistance

Hi all,

Long time, no post.  I was recently given a katana blade which is sound, but in poor polish.  I don't expect it is valuable or anything important, but I'd like to get an idea of the smith, province, and period if possible.  I have spent a few hours already trying to translate to no avail.  Opinions from those of you more knowledgeable in this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!

IMG_1058.JPG

Hello,

based on Markus book:

MYŌJU (明寿), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu → AKITOSHI (明寿), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu

AKITOSHI (明寿), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Akitoshi” (明寿), real name Ōno Takeshi (大野勇), born October 7th 1911, he died on September 11th 1983 and was working as a guntō smith during World War II

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the information guys!  Akitoshi AKI177.  Are you aware of an online reference where more information can be found about this particular smith?  This appears to be a traditionally made blade, and I'm wondering if it was made pre-war, during the war, or post-war.  Please forgive my ignorance and lack of knowledge here.

Thanks again!

On 8/23/2024 at 6:17 PM, st468 said:

Thank you very much for the information guys!  Akitoshi AKI177.  Are you aware of an online reference where more information can be found about this particular smith?  This appears to be a traditionally made blade, and I'm wondering if it was made pre-war, during the war, or post-war.  Please forgive my ignorance and lack of knowledge here.

Thanks again!

any date on the other side of the tang?

Cisco-san,

No, there's no date or kanji on the other side of the tang.  No Seki stamp, no star, only the characters as shown in the picture above. 

Any additional opinions are welcome and very much appreciated!

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone.

I am a katana kaji restorer and I try to help clients with translations, etc.

I am new here, this is my first post. So if I am in the wrong place, I apologize.

Please, could someone help me decipher this Mei? It is from a wakizashi. Thank you.

IMG_20240826_143223~2.jpg

IMG-20240824-WA0007~2.jpg

On 05/09/2024 at 13:05, ROKUJURO said:

Olá Egon, 

a lâmina é assinada SADAHIRO.

Se entendi corretamente, você é um restaurador de espadachins, ou um restaurador e ferreiro de espadas? Espero que você tenha cuidado com lâminas japonesas e não toque nelas!

Great afternoon everyone! It's my first time here. I've been following this forum for some time, always good discussions and great help. Dear Jean, thank you very much for taking the time to help us, I am a beginner collector and I acquired this blade in question a few days ago. According to the seller it was a war "prize" given to an Italian soldier at the end of the Second World War, this soldier gave it to his grandson as a gift and today it is with me. I will send more photos for a more complete analysis. I would like to thank everyone who can help in this search for the origins of the blade.

Olá Egon, 

Se entendi corretamente, você é um restaurador de espadachins, ou um restaurador e ferreiro de espadas? Espero que você tenha cuidado com lâminas japonesas e não toque nelas!

Thank you very much.

I am a manufacturer and restorer...

I appreciate the well-deserved, very correct concern, and the extreme care with any nihonto.

I only work on something if I am absolutely certain that I can do something really well.

• Thanks 1

Olá Egon, 

Kaga no Kami Fujiwara SADAHIRO? Kita SADAHIRO?

• Thanks 1

Genivaldo,

to help you with the identification of your sword, your photos should be:

- well focused, not foggy or blurry
- made with a dark, non reflective background for good contrast
- made with light from the side (may not apply for HAMON photos)
- made from directly above (not at an angle)
- made with correct orientation (verically tip-upwards, especially NAKAGO photos) 
- without HABAKI but showing the MACHI and NAKAGO JIRI 
- made in high resolution to see details
- showing details of the sword like BOSHI, HAMACHI, HAMON, HADA, NAKAGO JIRI etc.
- presented as cut-outs so very little background is shown

If you cannot supply good photos (these photos are all I have from the dealer..../ I do not have a good camera but only an old mobile phone.... ), DO NOT POST THEM. They will not be helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1