Translation Help: Battle Damaged Blade

Hello all,

This sword is in my personal collection and I was wondering if someone could identify the smith and possibly the age of the blade. I’m assuming that this is a fairly “new” blade, being made in the 1940s, but it does seem to have been remounted once before being damaged. Based on the damage, it does appear that the blade took a direct hit from a bullet which was subsequently split in two. You can see the channels formed by the two halves, one exiting cleanly off to the right and the other to the left. 

See Imgur link for more detailed photos.

https://imgur.com/a/Nrvm5ms

IMG_1789.thumb.jpeg.4d3fd9fa00cd9a847a0df9667e03dc0f.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Christopher, great sword and very evocative. As I said on my own thread, I'm no forensic ballistics expert but that doesn't look like a bullet strike to me, its looks far more like shrapnel damage and unfortunately for the officer carrying it, he'd almost certainly have caught some of it.  I'm sorry I can't help with the translation but I'm sure one of these guys will be able to assist, they are guns when it comes to translating these inscriptions. 

32 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

That's a gorgeous habaki, Christopher!  Any stamps above the mei or a date on the other side? or stamped numbers at the end?

Thank you, Bruce. Nothing else from my observations. Just the signature as photographed. 

42 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

That's a gorgeous habaki, Christopher!  Any stamps above the mei or a date on the other side? or stamped numbers at the end?

Bruce, this is a photo of the other side. I also now realize that there may be a number “2”.IMG_5405.jpeg.3caf5b86e65c203b76a146d0b7d2ff37.jpegIMG_1762.thumb.jpeg.c70e328ce8debd4f358ed889dded4afe.jpeg