Identification of Police Kyu-Gunto

Greetings everyone, 

As the title entails, I would be interested in finding out any available information about this Police Parade Kyu-gunto. It has a functioning spring-lock and two suspension rings. To my knowledge, army Type 8 Kyu-gunto had two rings, same with the first batch of Type 19, which were later reduced to one. However, I don't know if Police Kyu-gunto share the same timeline of development. Even if it's conjecture, I would appreciate any date or time window for this item. God bless

Photoroom-20240806_162426.png

Photoroom-20240806_162401.png

Photoroom-20240806_162344.png

Photoroom-20240806_162324.png

• Like 1

Dawson shows the same backstrap as yours on page 311, and says they are for police Lt's.  He talks of police carrying swords since they were created in 1874, so I'd think the use of your sword would align with it's overall production from 1899 to 1936, though they were carried through the end of the war in 1945.  I don't see a way to narrow the date down more than that.

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, Kantaro said:

Hi Maurice, 

Any markings visible?

Kind regards.

Greetings Kantaro, 

No markings visible, I've dismantled the blade and sadly found no revealing writings/stamps

Hi Maurice, 

I wouldn't recommend disassembling parade swords. They are not meant to be taken apart and there is nothing to learn from looking at the "tang" of these plated blades. Sometimes they won't go back together as nicely and the components may be loose. Here is the link to Dawson's book - sold by the author on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126589207911

Conway

• Thanks 1