How old is the average Nihonto collector?

Kantaro

33 minutes ago, GeorgeLuucas said:

30+

From my perspective, the community is an older crowd. There’s more and more young folk getting into it though! 

One day I think more of the anime crowd will realise that you can buy actual Nihonto for cheaper than some cosplay items, and then I think we'd see a whole lot more new (and likely younger) people... Hopefully then prices will increase too - you really shouldn't be able to buy these historic pieces cheaper than a second hand car... 

• Like 2

71. I have been a military collector for 60 years but only started to concentrate on Nihonto only 15 years ago. Don’t know how that figures into your average but have been very lucky in finding Great Friends in this new and exciting field   

MikeR

3 hours ago, Alex A said:

Young uns dont have the spare cash to waste

Not sure why anyone has an issue with exact ages, but each to their own.  

Me: 57

I do believe the above statement is a huge reason for the older average age of collectors, but not necessarily the average age of those who are interested in the subject though.  While I have been interested for a long time, it has only been the last few years I have been able to afford some nicer quality items and also have a few items polished and restored.  

• Like 1

I'm a newly minted 80 year old, started collecting at 20.  I empathise with the member who said he felt under-qualified here... Oh, and it makes me an 'estate-in-waiting'.

BaZZa.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

29 here, I hypothesis that the shear amount of reading (material) required to advance in the hobby is a non-starter. You can easily spend just as much on books as you can on nihonto artifacts. With televised anime being all the rage the younger crowd is curious. I’d rather have a nihonto collection than a boatload of Pokémon Charizard cards. I guess that makes me an outlier.

• Like 4