Japanese Naval WW2 Sword -Kyu-Gunto Samurai -Old Navy -WWII Model 1883 *PAPERED*

1 difficult to find Japanese model 1883 Naval Kyu-Gunto Samurai Officer's sword.  This rare Imperial Japanese Navy Officer's katana would make an important addition to any collection.  A sword in model 1883 Naval Kyu-Gunto sword mounts is rare.  An example in exceptional condition is extremely difficult to find. 

The Naval mounts on this sword are mint.  Of Kyu-Gunto mounted swords--just 1 in 40, or 1 in 50 is in Naval mounts--all others are Army.  A sword like this does not come on the market very often.  These Naval mounts are often also referred to as Russo-Japanese War mounts.  

A photo from a reference book of a Japanese Naval Officer posing with this type of sword is provided in this listing. 

This sword has a Silver Samurai family mon on its backstrap.  This sword has an ancestral Samurai blade.  The blade dates to the 1644 to 1648 A.D.  The nakago/tang is signed 'Hoshu Takada-ju Fujiwara Munekage'.  

Munekage is ranked a 30 pt. smith in Hawley's--making him a chujo-saku swordsmith.  

The blade measures 25 13/16" (65.5 cm) from blade tip to notch in the blade spine.  This sword has a beautiful hamon.  This old blade has two holes in the nakago.  The sharkskin-covered saya is very fine.  All fittings are gilted in gold.  The original Naval tassel/portopee is attached.  The blade even has desirable kiri komi--(sword cuts or strikes from battle with another Samurai).  

This sword is papered.  The papers accompany this sword.  

Condition:

The mounts are in mint condition.  The blade is in perfect polish.  

The hamon and boshi are perfectly healthy.  

$5699.95 shipped within the U.S. (if paying via Paypal or credit card, the PP/credit card fee will be added to the price)

russo japanese kyugunto munekage 7.jpg

russo japanese kyugunto munekage 6.jpg

russo japanese kyugunto munekage 8.jpg

russo japanese kyugunto munekage 9.jpg

naval officer kyu-gunto Munekage .jpg

naval officer kyu-gunto Munekage 2.jpg

naval officer kyu-gunto Munekage 3.jpg

naval officer kyu-gunto Munekage 4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

Matt, this blade and the other one you currently have listed (from the Plimpton Collection) are 2 of the nicest swords that I have seen you post for sale.

If I didn't have to put all of my spare money into my wife's mouth now I would buy one of them.

These should sell quickly.

Warm Regards,

Jesse

• Like 1