Is now a good time to buy swords from Japanese dealers?

This is a question mainly to those who have been in the hobby for a while: Is now a good time to buy from Japan due to the weak yen? I saw an enju katana I really liked on aoi https://www.aoijapan...a-mumei-den-enjyu-2/ for 920k yen. 920k yen would've been about $9200 USD a few years ago but now is closer to 5-6000 USD.

So my question is, is now a good time to buy from dealers out of Japan (since other currencies now go further)? Or did dealers raise the prices in JPY to compensate for the weaker yen? I don't have a historical price chart of katanas so I'd like to know what everyone thinks.

Imho, Japanese prices have largely stayed the same, and there is a benefit if you are spending $'s or Euros.
Doesn't help those of us whose currency fall matches the Yen...but for the rest of you, there are considerable benefits.

• Like 1

I don't have much experience or knowledge, but strictly on a basic economic level early 2021 saw the JPY at around 103 to 1 USD, compared to around 154 right now, an increase of around 48%.  I was able to track the sales history of some swords I was interested in recently (with some help) and the prices only marginally increased over the past few years, essentially keeping with inflation as Brian noted above.  So on a basic level, your dollar will go a lot farther now.  That being said, I think it is only a good time to buy if 1) you would otherwise be in the market for a sword anyway (i.e. you have discretionary funds available and set aside), 2) you know what you want and why you want it, 3) what you want is available and in the condition you want it in, and 4) the price is reasonably within range of comparable offerings across the market.  If answer to those is yes, then you will either save a decent chunk of money, or get a finer specimen than you might have earlier in the decade :)

• Like 2

Agree prices have remained the same and now is a good time to buy due to the weaker Yen.

Ordered a tanto to be made and agreed on a price.

A little concerned the Yen rate will have changed by the time its made and i will be hit with a kick in the nuts lol

2 minutes ago, Alex A said:

A little concerned the Yen rate will have changed by the time its made and i will be hit with a kick in the nuts lol

Get yourself a Wise account and buy the yen now. Your nuts will thank you. :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies. As a follow up question, apart from aoi, what are some other reputable Japanese dealers that deal with gaijin?

What dealers would NMB recommend? I've looked through the ones in the commercial 1-4 section. Just curious are there any others not mentioned there? Thanks!

I would recommend buying first three blades from the US or at a show. You can return them if its shipped, and you can ask stupid questions. Japan is always the place to shop, but one needs some (or quite some) experience.

1 hour ago, dyn said:

As a follow up question, apart from aoi, what are some other reputable Japanese dealers that deal with gaijin?

Generally speaking, dealers with an English language option on their webpage expect/hope to deal with you—they are purposefully including you among their potential customers.

Kirill, I bought my first 3 blades from ebay and I don't think I've been bitten too bad, just that they aren't very interesting blades (the forum says that it's the stuff that doesn't sell in Japan). I did buy a showato without knowing what those were at the time though (but at most it's a waste of 700$, I don't think I could've gotten a real sword for that amount anyway). I am planning to check out some sword shows eventually, likely next year, so this is definitely good advice. 

Thanks Adam and Peter as well. I'll check those sites out. 

Question: Is the inverse true? If a site doesn't have English does it mean they won't bother to deal with you? Or do you just have to use google translate?

I saved myself about $500aud recently by buying a sword 3 weeks ago compared to if I bought it right now from Hataya sensei in Japan. So i think it is a good time to buy swords from Japan now.