1st Hizen Tadayoshi with big chip

54 minutes ago, Gerry said:

I didn't realize swords with such big chips could get TH.

Might be kirikomi which wouldn't necessarily prevent the blade from getting papers. Or the damage was caused after it Shinsa'ed in 2022 (unlikely, but possible).

That's a good point, although I how they would prove to the shinsa panel that the chip was from kirikomi. But ouch if the chip was made after the sword got papers! it went for 800,001 yen.

Here's another auction for a very nice blade by the same smith, and I'm sure it'll go for much, much higher.  

https://www.jauce.com/auction/l1145523632

Personally I would pass on a blade with Ha kirikomi, on the mune is actually quite nice as it adds a little romanticism. On the shinogi not to egregious either. Kirikomi in these areas suggests the wielder knew how to handle a sword and correctly pare a strike.

As the works of shodai Tadayoshi are not uncommon, there is a very strong probability that this accident took place after the tokuho was obtained. Note that the chip joins the hamon, which is a fatal flaw. In fact, this sword isn't worth a cent anymore.

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, Lewis B said:

Personally I would pass on a blade with Ha kirikomi, on the mune is actually quite nice as it adds a little romanticism. On the shinogi not to egregious either. Kirikomi in these areas suggests the wielder knew how to handle a sword and correctly pare a strike.

I agree with you on that...kirikomi marks on the mune or shinogi do add to the character of the blade.

This sword has quite a few kirikomi marks, but then I'm wondering if unscrupulous sellers add those too since they know it's an attractive quality.

https://www.jauce.com/auction/o1124491895

Having seen a number of Nambokucho period blades with real kirikomi, I would consider what I'm seeing here as romanticized flaws of suspicious origin. Some collectors can live with flaws. Buy what you like, but know what you're buying. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Franco D said:

Having seen a number of Nambokucho period blades with real kirikomi, I would consider what I'm seeing here as romanticized flaws of suspicious origin. Some collectors can live with flaws. Buy what you like, but know what you're buying. 

Very true. I saw kirikomi on the mune of a Fukuoka Ichimonji and I felt it added character and didn't look like it had got the nick in the last 20 years. Correct location near the kissaki and the angle of impact was consistent for a blow from an opponent's blade. I would love to have that sword in my collection. 

3 minutes ago, Lewis B said:

Correct location near the kissaki and the angle of impact was consistent for a blow from an opponent's blade.

While location can have some variation in the ones I've seen, the characteristics including shape, angle, and depth are unmistakable as to what made that mark. 

10 minutes ago, Toryu2020 said:

PS - I own a Juyo To-ken Morisuke with a serious chip - some cannot look at it, I love it!

The problem isn't looking at the Juyo Morisuke, in fact not at all. Would love to see it. The problem for some is that their eye can't stop being drawn to the chip. 

Regards

5 hours ago, Toryu2020 said:

PS - I own a Juyo To-ken Morisuke with a serious chip - some cannot look at it, I love it!

morisuke.thumb.jpg.c4a77acfc60003858739b4c62ef2ad29.jpg

Morisuke2.thumb.jpg.87536c4247e0c871a71b314bc76dba9f.jpg

Will you be at the SF show next weekend? I'd love to talk to you about this wonderful sword! Absolutely stunning.

I will indeed be at the San Francisco show for sure and so will the sword. The NBTHK/AB are doing a presentation on Nanboku-cho Bizen and this sword will be available for hands-on examination...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Toryu2020 said:

I will indeed be at the San Francisco show for sure and so will the sword. The NBTHK/AB are doing a presentation on Nanboku-cho Bizen and this sword will be available for hands-on examination...

I can’t wait to see it and many other amazing swords. 

On 7/25/2024 at 7:02 PM, Toryu2020 said:

That's very exciting Thomas. Is there anything an attendee like me needs to do, to view the Nanboku-cho Bizen presentation? A sign-up perhaps?

I've been reading up on the topic in preparation for the show, and stumbled across this. I hope you don't mind me sharing it here, its a fascinating read!
 https://nihonto.com/bizen-morisuke-備前守助/

All the best,
-Sam

• Like 1

No worries Sam -

I am proud to share it, no sense in hiding it in a closet. The presentation is by the NBTHK/AB these are usually open to all attendees though sometimes there is a small fee...

-t

• Love 1