Help identify

I hope this is not too tricky. Both of these swords are a mystery to me. Can somebody please help me identify their authenticity and origins. my trouble in my research has been looking mismatched and they’re being so many different different types of gunto. Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks. IMG_1912.thumb.jpeg.f9b11f19129a51cd40ff68677c528ee6.jpegIMG_1915.thumb.jpeg.6220055a746001977c2ccd8a07dc3fa7.jpeg

IMG_1914.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1913.jpeg

IMG_1910.jpeg

IMG_1905.jpeg

IMG_1897.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1906.jpeg

IMG_1887.jpeg

IMG_1880.jpeg

IMG_1879.jpeg

IMG_1881.jpeg

IMG_1886.jpeg

IMG_1882.jpeg

IMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_1891.jpeg

I can only assume that $83 was laid out to imply it would be sent in after our help!  Ha! 

The hash marks are modified Roman numerals for "40", which matches the stamped 40 on the chuso (latch).

You might want to post that over on the NIHONTO FORUM for further evaluation as that name was used from the 1300s to the 1800s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Singer said:

This one may be signed 藤原金重 - Fujiwara Kinju

IMG_1916.jpeg.e6468c233dcb706d4f2db6a7c0fce103.jpeg

Thanks for the help. Was this a known maker by chance and do you have any estimate on its age. The blade is a few  inches shorter that its scabbard and the fit is not snug. Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I can only assume that $83 was laid out to imply it would be sent in after our help!  Ha! 

The hash marks are modified Roman numerals for "40", which matches the stamped 40 on the chuso (latch).

You might want to post that over on the NIHONTO FORUM for further evaluation as that name was used from the 1300s to the 1800s

Hahaha , thank you so much for the help. I will definitely post on the other forum once I get home.  do they look authentic to you ?and also could you tell me what the number means? 

1 hour ago, Conway S said:

Sherif, 

The other is a lightweight parade sword in shin gunto mounts. See the below reference. I also have one that looks very similar to this example. Very cool! @Shamsy@Bruce Pennington

Conway

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/22122-paradelight-weight-gunto/#comment-225012

Thank you so much Conway. Can you tell if these look authentic in your opinion? The one that’s signed is smaller than the scabbard it’s in, is that a red flag ?

2 hours ago, Reefishere said:

Was this a known maker by chance and do you have any estimate on its age.

I answered that already, just before your post - that name was used from the 1300s to the 1800s - that's why you need to have the guys at the Nihoto forum look it over

They are both legit.  The stamped numbers are assembly numbers put there to keep the custom fitted parts together as they go through production process.  Each blade is slightly different from the next, so fittings are customized to fit a specific blade.  The numbers keep them together with the blade.

The size difference is due to the fact that the signed blade is an old family blade that had to be retrofitted in military gear.  Sometimes this was done at an arsenal, sometimes at a private shop.  Whoever did this one might not have had the time or resources to make an exact fit.  

• Like 1