An hitai-ate from the Bakumatsu era.

Dear all,

I recently acquired an hitai-ate from the Bakumatsu era. It was described by the seller  as : made by Yoshikatsu Kawamura, armor maker of the Sakai family of the Shonai domain, used by the Shinsengumi, Tsuruoka domain. It has three other engraved inscription which are : Hachiman Daibosatsu, Amaterasu Omikami Shrine, Kasuga Daimyojin Shrine.

It comes with eight different types of amulets and what I understand to be a certificate.

Can you help me on the certificate ? I will need a full translation to see if it is really linked to the hitai-ate. How old is it ?

Any helpful comments are welcome.

Thank you for your help.

made by Yoshikatsu Kawamura, armor maker of the Sakai family of the Shonai domain 1.jpg

made by Yoshikatsu Kawamura, armor maker of the Sakai family of the Shonai domain.jpg

• Love 1

Piers,

Can you tell me what is written on the paperwork ? Is it a certificate, ? I can't see a date....!

Anyway, I like the way the kanji(s) are drawn.

I remember the one belonging to Jan which is in better condition.

Does anyone has infos about the armor maker Yoshikatsu Kawamura,  who is said by the seller to be employed by the Sakai family of the Shonai domain ?

Any help on this certificate will be welcome.

It seems to call the hitai-ate, 夏用 'iron armour for summer'. 

The 27th Lord of the Shonai domain, retainers to Tokugawa Ieyasu, Sakai ... Tadatsugu Ko, called the armor maker Myochin Muneyoshi from Edo ...and had this made.(?)

The various invocations on the front are written and signed by Kawamura Yoshikatsu, plus Kao. These inscription readings are also noted on the pieces of paperwork, and the whole thing is rounded off with 南無阿弥陀仏 Namu Amida Butsu, 他二枚 'plus two other sheets'.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gilles said:

Does anyone has infos about the armor maker Yoshikatsu Kawamura,  who is said by the seller to be employed by the Sakai family of the Shonai domain ?

Any help on this certificate will be welcome.

As said above, Gilles. This smith (川村吉勝) is not listet in the Meikan! The only clue we have is this certain Muneyoshi, but even for him there is little info, except that he was working around late Edo/Meiji for the Shōnai fief….

Thank you Piers, it explain why those two names are quoted and their attributions.

Can we date this hitai-ate between 1864 ans 1868 ???? I can't see a date on the certificate.

Got it Piers, could be contemporary to the Boshin war period.

Thank you very much to both of you, Piers and Uwe.  Your help was decisive and help me a lot to understand and appreciate that new acquisition.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2024 at 12:56 PM, Bugyotsuji said:

It seems to call the hitai-ate, 夏用 'iron armour for summer'. 

The 27th Lord of the Shonai domain, retainers to Tokugawa Ieyasu, Sakai ... Tadatsugu Ko, called the armor maker Myochin Muneyoshi from Edo ...and had this made.(?)

The various invocations on the front are written and signed by Kawamura Yoshikatsu, plus Kao. These inscription readings are also noted on the pieces of paperwork, and the whole thing is rounded off with 南無阿弥陀仏 Namu Amida Butsu, 他二枚 'plus two other sheets'.

I know I am late, but I still do not understand the paper. The paper looks an incorrect explanatory note rather than a certificate.

There are several points I cannot understand.

The paper says that the armor maker Myochin Muneyoshi (明珍宗吉) was invited to Shonai by Sakai Saemon no jo Tadatsugu (酒井左衛門丞忠次), and Tadatsugu was the 27th Lord of the Shonai domain.

However;

1. Sakai Tadatsugu (酒井忠次) died in 1596 before the Shonai domein was established.

Ref. Sakai Tadatsugu - Wikipedia

2. The first Lord of the Shonai domain is Sakai Tadakatsu (酒井忠勝), who is the grandchild of Tadatsugu.

3. The last Lord of the Shonai domain is Sakai Tadamichi (酒井忠宝) and he is 12th load. So, there is no 27th Load of the Shonai domain.

4. If Myochin Muneyoshi made the armor in late Edo period, what about the first part of the paper?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thank you very much Moriyama San. It seems to be a real conundrum.

Do you think that it is a counterfeit document (even if it is an old one) which was made to enhance the value of the hitai-ate or to give a special importance ? 

1 hour ago, Gilles said:

Thank you very much Moriyama San. It seems to be a real conundrum.

Do you think that it is a counterfeit document (even if it is an old one) which was made to enhance the value of the hitai-ate or to give a special importance ? 

i suspect that it may be such a document and was written after Meiji era.

• Like 1

Thank you again Moriyama San for your help.

I agree with you Piers, I consider that it is an historic object and a witness of a troubled era were the sword was the main weapon.

• Like 1