Comments on this armour?

Brian

Let me start by saying I have no intentions of buying this. I know little to nothing about katchu, and learned long ago not to buy things I am clueless about.
Also, my katchu goals are only one nice kabuto oneday. Not a suit.
That said, Japanese armour almost never comes up for sale in SA. In fact, don't recall anything ever being on auction. So....I am just curious about what the armour guys think of this and the estimated value. (Around $2500 - $3300) and any info on what you see.
It looks fairly plain and well worn to me. Lots of work. Are they close, is there anything worth looking at closer?

https://www.bernardi...urai-suit-of-armour/

No-one knows if it's junk, fair or ok...repro or old, mix of unrelated composite parts or an original set, worth far less, or more?
No need to sugar coat anything since I'm not buying. But I do know the auctioneers and would like to be able to give feedback on the description and also learn a bit about current values etc.

17 hours ago, Brian said:

No-one knows if it's junk, fair or ok...repro or old, mix of unrelated composite parts or an original set, worth far less, or more?
No need to sugar coat anything since I'm not buying. But I do know the auctioneers and would like to be able to give feedback on the description and also learn a bit about current values etc.

Hi Brian with all respect. The link did not work for my computer. I was taken to a page I think.  I could barely see the photos. The page was useless for me.  Perhaps if you downloaded the photos and posted here some people would be able to help. 

When you say, "Are they close?", are you asking about your thoughts and comments. If so, yes they are. 

Although not high quality, and the condition is 'well-used', there is much to study and enjoy in this set of kashi-gusoku, perhaps for a lower-ranked bushi or ashigaru. The kabuto and kote for example are decent, although the menpo looks to be from a set of Kaga armour. Not sure if the yoroi-bitsu is a later addition?

As to price, perhaps a little on the high side, but you do get a bit of everything, and considering the original cost of shipping etc., maybe not too steep.

It depends what you collect, but for anyone looking for a set of ashigaru armor, why not?

PS "Are they close in their description?" is what you mean, I guess. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Piers. Yeah, I was wondering about their description and also their estimates.
@Henri That's odd. I wonder if you are viewing on a cellphone or desktop? Works fine on desktop, lots of pics and can be clicked to open. But many of these smaller auction houses aren't too clued up yet on mobile presentation.
Here's some pics

ml2043.jpg

ml2048.jpg
ml2052.jpg

ml2056.jpg
ml2060.jpg

ml2064.jpg

ml2063.jpg

ml2067.jpg

I agree with Piers! 
The description is rather close, ok, one can argue with the name of the haidate…

The good thing is, that the sangu is matching and the dō is in quite good condition. Most work requires the hanpō, but the price seems “acceptable” and reflects the condition (more or less ;-)).

I can also go into the different kamon, if you like?!

• Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 9:29 AM, Brian said:

Thanks Piers. Yeah, I was wondering about their description and also their estimates.
@Henri That's odd. I wonder if you are viewing on a cellphone or desktop? Works fine on desktop, lots of pics and can be clicked to open. But many of these smaller auction houses aren't too clued up yet on mobile presentation.
Here's some pics

ml2043.jpg

ml2048.jpg
ml2052.jpg

ml2056.jpg
ml2060.jpg

ml2064.jpg

ml2063.jpg

ml2067.jpg

Good legitimate, lower ranking armor. Early Edo 17thC.  You can buy something like this in the $2,000 range on my facebook sales page. Sometimes with shipping included.  So I would estimate it around that. Auction houses tend to charge a lot for the fees usually between 15-20%  so buyers should think about this.  I sold a rather nice armor on my page (a kaga suit) for around $1,000 but the urushi was only so so and it was out of the barn condition.  This one is in somewhat  nice condition so that should also be taken into consideration.  There is your favor Brian.  Id be on here more often to help  if you didnt let people defame me and then lock the thread.