Help please

Looks a bit like KANEYASU    ( 兼  保 ) but seems to have more strokes in the second KANJI.

Generally, NAKAGO photos should be well focused, taken directly from above, with the light from the side, and taken with a dark background. Tip should point upwards.

You will have to wait for the experts.

7 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

Yes, that's it! I could not find it in the KANJI list of the NMB.

I admit that I can’t remember whether I have ever noticed this character for “nari” before, Jean.
Quite rare I guess and “pointing”* to Mino 16th century in this case.

Edit: “might point”*. Condition of the nakago (patina) looks not that old. At least on the first two pictures…

• Like 1

Dear Alex,

having the measurements of the blade would help to evaluate the period and tighten the circle,  takanoha yasurime are not very common in the Shinto period, from the photos I would also seem to see an O kissaki or elongated chu kissaki (I could easily be wrong given the different angles of the photo), so at first glance it seems to me compatible with Mino den late Muromachi, perhaps

https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KAN1756 or https://nihontoclub.com/smiths/KAN1757

Regards,

Giordy

Alex,

as mentioned above:

Generally, NAKAGO photos should be well focused, taken directly from above, with the light from the side, and taken with a dark background. Tip should point upwards. 

This applies also to photos of the blade.

In addition to these recommendations, you can improve your photos by presenting them as cut-outs, so no background is disturbing. 

...could be an illusion but I see what seems koshibiraki in the hamon and maybe gunome choji ( 4th picture)... but difficult to say from these pictures...

Best regards 

Éric VD

• Like 1

Frankly, wazamono is not a quality brand. You have to look at the conditions under which these tests were carried out, and I doubt that the process was rigorous enough in terms of parameters to be truly reliable.  Let me add that it's the swords that were judged, not the smiths. 

It seems Markus Sesko index is mistaken

https://en.wikipedia...iki/List_of_Wazamono

Inoue Shinkai only rated wazamono ....

You are the one dismissing the validity of the Wazamono list. Please present another that matches your criteria of reliability. Alternatively, head down to the morgue and start slicing and dicing, look forward to your results.