Report from The Japanese Sword Museum

Now that I am back from my trip to Japan and somewhat recovered from jet lag, I wanted to share what I saw at The Japanese Sword Museum. The permanent exhibit is pretty small and limited about the sword making process. It is informative at a basic level, although it has nice examples of each stage of the process. The temporary exhibit for this month was swords and fittings that had been newly designated Tokubetsu Juyo Token, along with a handful of swords from the museum’s collection. The list of items exhibited can be downloaded below, and you can get more information on each one by scanning the QR code at the top right of the page. As a fan of Koto swords, I was thrilled to see this exhibit. It was so cool to see so many top level swords by top smiths in one place and easily compare them. My wife even enjoyed it, asking me to show her the differences between jihada. Unfortunately, they did not allow pictures in the exhibit area.

The museum building is really nice, and they’ve made it fairly easy to see the swords despite them being behind glass—much easier than at the Tokyo National Museum. I really enjoyed the visit.

Scan Jul 14, 2024.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1