Tang translation request

Mikemike88

Hi

I've been asked if I can find out about the origins of this sword. The sword itself was presented to the town of Romsey in the South of England by Lord Mountbatten. Hopefully the photos are OK as they are all that been provided to me. I think this is most likely the first time the handle has been off since it was presented to the town. Thanks for your assistance as always.

IMG_1911.thumb.jpeg.173d0d265857304689232ef5a94e2dc8.jpegIMG_1918.jpeg.0deeccd8696cac4048c4f06eba164ec0.jpeg

IMG_1917.thumb.jpeg.b92c345a162069053228378d798dcc13.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hi Mike,

The signature reads “Kawachi [no] kami Kunisuke. [Made by] Kunisuke, lord of Kawachi. There were 4 smiths signing this way working between 1624 and 1711 according to Markus Sesko’s compendium. Is it dated on the other side of the tang? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shugyosha said:

Hi Mike,

The signature reads “Kawachi [no] kami Kunisuke. [Made by] Kunisuke, lord of Kawachi. There were 4 smiths signing this way working between 1624 and 1711 according to Markus Sesko’s compendium. Is it dated on the other side of the tang? 

John

Thats really interesting. So it appears that this may be a family blade? 

Unfortunately it wasn’t myself who had the opportunity to examine the sword, it was someone else who was visiting the town hall where the sword is kept. 

What advice would you have for the owners (I’m assuming it’s the town council) in relation to how they should now treat this sword? I’m thinking both in terms of preservation and security. Depending upon the state of I've blade I’m assuming that given the province of both the blade and how it came to be in the town’s possession, this may be quite a valuable item. Before you ask I haven’t seen any pictures of the blade itself and know nothing further other than a mention of it was still very sharp (how that is known I do not know).

Cheers

Michael

Hi Mike,

What Piers said, maybe a light oiling of the blade but DO NOT clean the tang. Sorry for the over emphasis but the patina on the tang witnesses the blade’s age and should be left as is. 

Yes, it’s not a military issue blade from the signature. It’s could either be passed down within a family or re-issued after a donation to the war effort. I’m not a military sword guy so others can chip in but appeals went out for blades to be donated to the cause. Sorry, just saw your post of the presentation: fantastic!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Mike, an interesting story.  It seems that Mountbatten brought back several swords, at least one is screwed to the wall in Britannia Royal Naval College in Dartmouth, a kaigunto in that case.  It would be interesting to track down all his presentations.

All the best.

• Thanks 1

Great history, wonderful newsreel.  The late Basil Robinson gave a talk to the To Ken many years ago and detailed how he was tasked together with a Japanese Officer to sort through and grade surrendered swords.  Mountbatten returned to the UK with a very large number of these and made many presentations.  I have some more details somewhere and will try and find my notes.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

To-ken Society of GB monthly newsletter "Programme 81" gives an account of the talk given by Basil Robinson.  He reminisces the time as a British army captain he sorted through 1800 surrendered swords in 1945.  Mountbatten had access to all of these.  "Programme No.37" has a letter from Han Bing Siong describing the sword at Windsor Castle and speculates on the sword Mountbatten returned to Japan.  Unfortunately, I cannot lay my hands on these newsletters at the moment, perhaps someone has copies of them?  Back in early postwar Britain Mountbatten wrote a memo listing those who were to be presented with swords but noted that they haven't  arrived in the UK yet .  I'm still searching for this. On the internet somewhere is a film clip of Mountbatten at his home, holding one of the swords surrendered to him, he talks at length on this.  I'll look for it when I get time..  A gunto sword with a blade by Yasutsugu is on display at the Commando Training Centre and is presented annually.  It is yet another one said to have belonged to Field Marshal Count Terauchi Hisaichi.  It's known as the Mountbatten Sword. Quite a few pictures of this sword being presented at that establishment can be googled. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Davis said:

To-ken Society of GB monthly newsletter "Programme 81" gives an account of the talk given by Basil Robinson.  He reminisces the time as a British army captain he sorted through 1800 surrendered swords in 1945.  Mountbatten had access to all of these.  "Programme No.37" has a letter from Han Bing Siong describing the sword at Windsor Castle and speculates on the sword Mountbatten returned to Japan.  Unfortunately, I cannot lay my hands on these newsletters at the moment, perhaps someone has copies of them?  Back in early postwar Britain Mountbatten wrote a memo listing those who were to be presented with swords but noted that they haven't  arrived in the UK yet .  I'm still searching for this. On the internet somewhere is a film clip of Mountbatten at his home, holding one of the swords surrendered to him, he talks at length on this.  I'll look for it when I get time..  A gunto sword with a blade by Yasutsugu is on display at the Commando Training Centre and is presented annually.  It is yet another one said to have belonged to Field Marshal Count Terauchi Hisaichi.  It's known as the Mountbatten Sword. Quite a few pictures of this sword being presented at that establishment can be googled. 

Thanks for your insights. Really interesting stuff.

Thanks Mike for starting this off, I believe Mountbatten's actions saved many historic items from destruction. Many thanks John C. saved me from going through many old boxes.  Thanks too, to John, I'd completely forgotten about that article. Regards the swords he acquired for himself ( B W Robinson )  Back in the early seventies I went to view an auction at Elliot and Snowden.  It was a hot sunny day and propping open a door leading to the pavement was a leather clad gunto.  A brown ticket label was attached to the hilt, on which was written  "Brought back from Malaya, B W Robinson"  There was no mistake it was his handwriting which was so very distinctive. On a quick search found this.

Rotunda.png

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

This sword is from the Alanbrooke collection which was donated to the Royal Artillery Museum.  It was "Object of the Month March 2023".  Apparently it has now been judged to have been forged around 1800. There are a lot of these "presentation"  pieces that are not what they say on the tin.  A "Generals" sword presented by Mountbatten to a well known British military figure fetched quite a sum at auction a little while back. I believe there is a definite pattern to the presentation of some of these swords. This is an extract from a document I came across  "Mountbatten is sending Samurai swords to all five COS.  These swords are ancient and valuable, having been surrendered by officers of good family......"  I apologise for taking this subject a bit off topic but when I get time and can concentrate properly I will make a new post on the subject.

• Like 1