TV documentary about a bring back Shin Gunto

Just watching a TV documentary called "A Doctors Sword" It's about the family of a deceased veteran looking for information on a gunto given to their father by a Japanese officer at the end of WW2. 

They travel to Japan to try and find more about the sword and it's original owner.

Not a bad watch.

Adam

• Thanks 1

Good show, quite disturbing in places. Very little to do with the sword itself...maybe a few minutes in total.
But worth a watch. I suspect it was just surrendered as per normal instead of the "given to him because he saved his life" which is better on film. But ok...
Never go into who made the sword, I suspect just a regular Showato.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brian said:

Good show, quite disturbing in places. Very little to do with the sword itself...maybe a few minutes in total.
But worth a watch. I suspect it was just surrendered as per normal instead of the "given to him because he saved his life" which is better on film. But ok...
Never go into who made the sword, I suspect just a regular Showato.

Very true, bit harrowing in places after I watched all of it. It's a shame they didn't go a bit more into the sword itself, bit of a missed opportunity. Found myself telling the lady on tv off for touching the blade too! 🤣

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Banton989 said:

touching the blade

Ha!  Yes, you could see multiple finger prints along the blade.

Ah So, finished the show.  I liked it.  So dang many stories could be told from that war, and every one moving, and emotional.

I got a little chuckle at the end when she finished visiting with the Japanese family members and offered that if they wanted to see the sword, they were warmly invited to visit her in Ireland! Ha!  That gal had no intentions of repatriating that sword!  Her grandfather earned it.

• Haha 2

I watched it all, but of particular interest to me was the last sections in POW camps and the family in Fukuoka, as I just completed a paper on tosho in those areas and submitted to NMB Downloads.

• Like 1
  • Love 1