How would you classify this flaw?

Schneeds

Kitae-ware, yaki-ware?  It is mostly above the hamon, but does extend a bit into it.  I cannot tell if that is an open layer from a fold, or a crack from tampering.  Or maybe neither?  Any thoughts appreciated.  

image.thumb.jpeg.9cec672e633d04a2e77d91968750522f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.509279fa7497d4709762a377159f4b20.jpeg

7 hours ago, Lewis B said:

Delamination. What era is the sword from? Left hand image not too bad for a Koto blade but the fissure on the right is a big problem. 

Koto, Nanbokucho.  Both images are the same flaw, with direct and indirect lighting.  Trying to decide how big an issue it is.  

These WARE may not be visible on a newly forged blade but can occur after a few polishes. Not beautiful. Maybe it is tolerated on historically important blades.

I wouldn't take to war.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Classic Kitae-ware. In some select schools using Masame Hada, like Yamato Hosho, it isn't viewed quite as negatively.

Naoe Shizu in this case, so sort of a Yamato relative :)

The existence of the ware doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact I can't find it in any of the sellers scans or images, despite image enhancement.  I guess it could be hidden by contrast. 

We live and we learn.