2024 San Francisco Japanese Sword Show

Now that Orlando is behind us - we're one month out from the SF show! I went last year for my first time, and really enjoyed it.

For those who have not been before, I highly recommend it. Dates are FRI/SAT/SUN August 2nd-4th.

I will be attending this year, and would love to say hello and meet other fellow members. Who is all attending? 

More info in links:

https://nihonto.com/sword-show/

http://www.ncjsc.org/SF_token_kai.htm

2024-Taikai.2.jpg

All the best, and I hope to see you there!
-Sam

Looking forward to meeting you, and seeing your table Tom! I appreciate all you do for the event. 

I'll be the young gentlemen, who's smaller than most, sporting a mustache. If anyone sees me, feel free to get my attention and say hello!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nulldevice said:

I wanna go. Trying to see if I can find a hotel for less than $500 for the 2 nights. 

Not sure what they're going for now, but at the Mariott where the event is held, I was able to get a couple nights for less than 500

Some of those "airport hotels" that are on the same street as the event have decent rates. BUT they're pretty far from anything cool in SF (aside from the event of course)
^Recommending the Mariott exclusively to support the event.

Cheers,
-Sam

Edited by GeorgeLuucas

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

Sam

the show rate is 199  so 2 nights even with tax should be in your price range

here is a link https://book.passkey...492/owner/12506/home

I run the Chicago show and the one thing that helps support the show (and keep it going) is to stay at the hotel and reserve in the show room block

hope that helps

mark

Thats awesome Mark, thank you! I've got my room booked, and am looking forward to it.

Good to know that staying on site helps support the show. If there is anything else we can do, as attendees, to support the event; please let me know! 

I'm going to try and make it to the Chicago show next year.
Cheers,
-Sam

You HAVE to stay in the show hotel. The rooms were amazing, and just walking out of your room and down a few corridors into the show was incredible. The hotel is gorgeous, not a thing to complain about.
I wish I could do it again. It was incredible.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2024 at 11:03 AM, nulldevice said:

I wanna go. Trying to see if I can find a hotel for less than $500 for the 2 nights. 

As Mark pointed out one of the main means of support for the show is booking a room and staying there. 

There have been rumors of this being the last SF Show.  While that is not true, what is true is that if the show doesn't receive more support, like booking a room, it may come to an end. These next two years attendance/support will be monitored closely to determine the future of this long standing show.

• Like 2

Hey everyone, just pitched the show to my wife and it looks like we will be joining as well! She's booking the hotels and getting the flights as I type.

• Like 3

As someone who took my wife to the show, I can tell you that the show is very "partner friendly" and the guys are all amazing. Wives won't feel excluded, and there is lots of interesting stuff to look at, as well as the hotel being lovely to wander around in. They will have a great time if they go with.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, GeorgeLuucas said:

Less than two weeks now. Hopefully the forest fires, and Microsoft updates don't mess with anyones flights :laughing:

Looking forward to meeting you @nulldevice and @Seth

It should be a good time,
Cheers,
-Sam

I'll likely be one of the younger people there so I should be easy to spot

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Without lighting on the tables how are the viewing conditions? Can the finer details in the hada be ascertained. This is one aspect of the Japan Art Expo in Utrecht that I really appreciated. 

4 hours ago, Lewis B said:

Without lighting on the tables how are the viewing conditions?

The overhead lighting in the room is not perfect. But thankfully many dealers have their own lights for their display.  

Many of the swords are in amazing polish. So even in not ideal lighting, much activity can still be seen. I remember last year there was some purple light overhead, and that was really bad for viewing - I feel it’s better this year. 

I hope to meet some fellow forum members today! I’ll be in a green cap with a yellow 0 on it. Please say hello! And apologies in advance for my perpetual social awkwardness :laughing:

All the best,

-Sam 

• Like 3

Sounds like you're having a good time. Hard to overemphasise the pleasure of being surrounded by other enthusiastic nihonto and Tosogu collectors. 

Has anyone seen anything by Norishige, Tametsugu or Sanekage or possibly an Ichimonji? Would appreciate a heads up. 

Continue having fun. Totally jelly typing here in Germany. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lewis B said:

Has anyone seen anything by Norishige, Tametsugu or Sanekage or possibly an Ichimonji? Would appreciate a heads up. 

There are a couple of Ichimonjis. Bill Rannow has a really nice Ko-Ichimonji that was well out of my price range. Nothing by Norishige (at least that was displayed).

2 hours ago, atm said:

There are a couple of Ichimonjis. Bill Rannow has a really nice Ko-Ichimonji that was well out of my price range. Nothing by Norishige (at least that was displayed).

Thanks I emailed him. 

Saw a lot of really amazing swords and fittings. It’s awesome what people are willing to let you handle on their tables - it’s really an incredible opportunity to handle swords; and the dealers and artisans are very kind, helpful, and educational. 

A big highlight for me was meeting fellow forum members to chat swords @Kyoto-13  @atm @nulldevice, it’s a lot of fun to chat Nihonto with other collectors.

Another was the Nambokucho Bizen display and lecture. There were a couple TokuJuyo swords on the table that were absolutely stunning. What an opportunity! And Thomas’s Morisuke is really impressive! 

Anyway, I’m traveling back home now. All the best, and until next year!

-Sam 

25F23D69-AA12-4C20-8B0A-596B847BBE74.jpeg

4BB5451B-A92F-473E-B530-223E4B086B38.jpeg

601CEED4-916A-4ECA-BC05-4717776C04C0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 2