Advice On Kabuto Sought

hddennis

It is also likely that large quantities of very light and thin-plate armors (which looked the part but offered little protection) simply rusted away in castle armouries, and the back corners of garden kura storehouse of many houses over the centuries.

• Like 2

Samurai and lower-ranked warriors who could not afford armour were loaned it. In the case of Hatamoto samurai, armour might also have been loaned to reflect their rank and ensure uniform appearance. These okashi could range from the highest level of craftsmanship to the most basic.

During the Warring States period, and especially from the late Muromachi to the Edo period, armour was designed for practical use. It was constructed to be identifiable from a distance. However, after the Tokugawa unified Japan and war became rare, armour became more decorative, with details meant to be appreciated up close. Armour continued to be used for ceremonial purposes until the late Edo period, when concerns about an American invasion again led to the production of battle-ready armour.

During the Warring States period and up to the siege of Osaka, armour needed to be maintained and produced quickly. Consequently, the urushi layers were often thinner. This type of lacquering was sufficient when maintained properly. However, after the samurai class was abolished, there was no longer a need to own armour or pay for its high maintenance costs. Armour was stored away, often repurposed, merged with other pieces, turned into tourist items, or exported.

The term ubu is often misused to describe badly damaged items. While an item's condition might be "as found," it does not reflect its original state. The main issue with the lower layers of urushi is that they are not waterproof. As a result, moisture enters through the odoshi-no-ana (the holes for lacing), the joints between plates on the inside, and from chips. This moisture spreads, causing rust, which eventually delaminates the upper urushi layers. Cracks appear, and pieces fall off. The silk also degrades and turns to dust after 80-100 years.

So, the bad condition is caused by poor storage and handling and lack of maintenance. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/4/2024 at 12:51 AM, Bugyotsuji said:

Pointed kabuto like this can be sub-divided into various shapes (Shiinari etc.,) but generally they are all called ‘toppai’ (pointed) for ease of reference. I have quite a similar one, said to be from early Edo. If you like it, why not?

My feeling is it could be too good for okashi gusoku (armor kept in the armoury for ‘lending’ out to ashigaru footsoldiers).

The verb kasu/kashi means ‘to lend’.

The character looks like サ (Sa), but it could be… 廾 (20) maybe?

Will you keep it in this condition or will you have it touched up a little?

I may be late to this conversation but yes I have seen this form called Toppai kabuto. Shiinari is usually used for higher vaulted or more pointed toppai kabuto. And I think that you are correct in both of your assumptions. that is similar to the way that they used to write the kanji for “20”.  This is more likely the katakana for “sa”.  I have seen army presentation maps were the different groups in formations were noted as katakana in the Japanese phonetic alphabet for their relative positions. such as batallion 1, 2, 3, 4. =  battalion sa shi su se so. and so on. 

• Like 2