Kashu Ju Kanewaka Katana NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon Certificate with Koshirae

Beautiful Kashu Ju Kanewaka Katana NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon Certificate with Koshirae

This beutiful sword was made by Kashu Ju Kanewaka, sworsmith of Kaga provice. It is an exquisite work and we can trace there as Soshu as Mino traditions in the sword. Kanewaka Kanewaka was the most prestigous line of swordmiths in Kaga which continued to the end of the Edo period. The first generation Kanewaka, also known as Jinroku, came to Kaga from Mino Province. He was a descendant of Shizu Saburō Kaneuji, and was such a skilled swordsmith that he was called "Kaga Masamune and was a particularly prominent swordsmith in the Kaga Maeda Daimyo family. It is a famous story in Japan, but there was a say: “You have to give your daughter in marriage to the Samurai with a sword of Kanewaka, even if he is low-paid and ranked Samurai.”

The second generation was named Matasuke, and the third was Shirōuemon. There were overlaps in the periods of their use of the name "Kanewaka" across generations, and many works were attributed to the previous generation, making it extremely difficult to determine the era of a piece without backdating. However, this sword was attributed to 2nd generation Kanewaka Matasuke by NBTHK.  

Shinto: Jyo Saku: Wazamono: Kaga Province

Sword description:

Blade length (Nagasa): 66.7cm

Curvature (Sori): 1.7cm

Width at the hamachi(Moto-Haba): 3.03cm

Width at the kissaki (Saki-Haba): 2.11cm

Thickness at the Moto Kasane: 0.63cm

Thickness at the Shinogi: 0.71cm

Thickness at the Saki Kasane: 0.44cm

Nakago: Ubu

Period: Edo Period, Meireki era (1655-1658)

Certificate: NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon, August 20, 2018

Jigane : Ko-Itame Hada well grained. Abundant Jinie attached. There are Chikei and some Yubashiri along the habuchi. The Jitetsu is clear and beautiful.

Hamon : Nie Deki Suguha with shalow Notare and some Togari. The hamon is of nie structure with abundant nie activities such Nie Hotsure, Nie Sake, Ko-Ashi, Kinsuji, Inazuma and next hataraki. The Habuchi is soft, Boshi is round in shape. 

The sword is polished, no visible scratches on the blade.

This sword is a beautiful high quality Kanewaka piece with visible jihada and chikei, soft habuchi with hataraki and reminds me works of Kanewaka’s great ancestor Saburō Kaneuji. This sword is in a mint condition, made by Kanewaka smith (best swordsmiths in Kaga in Shinto times) and comes with an antique well made beautiful Koshirae. All these features make the sword highly recommnedable.

Please, check more good quality images, full blade photos and videos:

https://drive.google...D9b-u?usp=drive_link

Please, feel free to contact me with any your questions, requests or proposals concerning this item. I always do my best to reach a mutual satisfaction. 

The sword may be inspected and picked up in Prague, Czech Republic.

I ship the sword within 1-3 days to all EU countries, but please, allow about 4 weeks for shipments out of EU. There is necessary to get an export permission before any out of EU shipment. The export permission takes about 3 weeks. 

There is my wanted price € 7200 plus PayPal and shipping costs. There is prefered bank to bank transfer, which is free. If there is paid by PayPal, I will request to get payment in CZK (as per the actual CZK / EUR exchange rate). 

Please, contact me by a PM or send me an email to my address zdenek-s@volny.cz, if you are interested in the sword or if you may have any question or proposal. 

• 2 weeks later...

I actually offer this flawless high quality Shinto Kanewaka sword with abundant Jinie, Chikei, hataraki hamon and with beautiful koshirae for €6990, the other terms remain as above. 

• 2 weeks later...

As I see there are still no potential buyers for the price announced, the price for forum members dropped to €7500, the other terms remain as above stated. I hope the said price is already interesting, it is under the original price which I paid for this beautiful Kanewaka sword with koshirae in Japan years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I found a typing error in my post from July 27th, I wanted to write text as follows:

As I see there are still no potential buyers for the price announced, the price for forum members dropped to €6500, the other terms remain as above stated. I hope the said price is already interesting, it is under the original price which I paid for this beautiful Kanewaka sword with koshirae in Japan years ago.

• Thanks 1

I have got a question concerning polish. The sword possesses an old good quality polish. However, I believe that if it were to be newly re-polished, the qualities of this sword would stand out even more.

Il y a 1 heure, zdenek-s a dit :

J'aiune question concernant le polonais. L'épée possède un vieux vernis de bonne qualité. Cependant, je crois que si elle devait être nouvellement re-polie, les qualités de cette épée se démarqueraient encore plus.

I don't think polishing is that old. « Rather recent », I think.

Maybe it is incorrect statement from my end, maybe better to say it is an original good quality polish. I did not let to repolish this sword on my end, as I did with most of my swords. But true, the polish is a good quality. I just know, if my prefered polisher Martin Hornak should repolish the sword, its features should become still better visible. 

Anyway, thank you for your comment, you are probably right. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zdenek-s said:

Je sais juste que si mon polisseur préféré Martin Hornak devait relaver l'épée, ses caractéristiques devraient devenir encore plus visibles.

I understand, we all have a preferred style of polishing, so I get it. But every time we polish a sword we take away from its life expectancy. I think polishing should be used to bring a sword back to life when it can no longer be admired. But in the case of old polishes with a few scratches, or polishes of good quality but not to our taste. We should learn to live with it for the sake of the blade. We own these swords because we like them, but also to pass them on. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...