Launch of a new book

Spartancrest

I just sent off a "new" book to the global distributors - Titled   "Additional Early Articles for Tsuba Study II"  It follows on "Early Articles for Tsuba Study 1880-1923 Enlarged Edition" &  "Additional Early Articles for Tsuba Study" with more articles and catalogues/catalogs, this time mainly dealing with auction catalogues of some of the well known collections and many of the more obscure ones. I concentrated only on auctions with images available, nothing more frustrating than to have to imagine what the tsuba looked like in my opinion. The book is 322 pages with several hundred tsuba illustrated. With any luck the book should be listed within a month.

The first book in the series [compact version] I just found listed on Catawiki, it is almost the same as the Enlarged Edition so you can check out the images https://www.catawiki...-period-1989-present  [I don't recall giving anyone permission to show the pages, but that obviously doesn't stop Catawiki !! :steamed:]

early series.jpg            Additional Early vol II content.jpg

Additional Early vol II bildt.jpg            Additional Early vol II Poncetton.jpg

barboutau collection.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 8
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations! 

I'm very interested in the two additional books as I've the first one. In fact, in that book I found some of the tsuba that nowadays belongs to some Spanish museums. 

Please keep us in touch regarding place to order. 

Best regards,

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, SalaMarcos said:

I'm very interested in the two additional books as I've the first one.

Hi Marcos, I just sent off an order for another member of NMB, for all three books. I can get them at cost price [which is less than half the price Amazon or others are selling them for.] Depending on shipping address which varies a lot. Combined shipping makes it cheaper as I just found - so much so I could send another book title to the NMB member. Just send me a PM and your postal address and I can find out the cost, also the company that prints them often has "discount" periods where they give up to 20% off or better yet free shipping so timing the purchase can save even more money. It is even possible to get the new book before it gets listed so that might upset the proxy sellers :) All three books make up 936 pages.

Regards All

I forgot to say all books are available either soft or hardcover, in general the hardcovers are $10 extra [I don't know why a little extra cardboard costs so much but that is what they charge?]

Edited by Spartancrest
Extra cost for hardcover
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Evening Dale,

A truly impressive work and retirement effort - and seen as a collective it could really be viewed as a true “World Heritage Tsuba Appendix” 👏🏻 Thank you 😎👍

All the best

/Soren

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dale

How much in OZ pesos for all three paperback copies plus the combined postage to Sydney ? e.g. when the 3rd book is published

thx

ps: your retirement display didn't have anything on bras and what the different sizes mean in posture, weight and handling efforts................

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Shuko said:

all three paperback copies plus the combined postage to Sydney

It should be $85.23.  So Blurb [the printer] tells me. The new book is available through me now. It will take maybe a few more weeks to become listed on the book networks. [I will cringe when I see the markup the distributors charge - as others who sell their books can attest the author gets very very little for each book sold for me it is $2. So with a limited number of sales it is not something to make any money!] [I don't know why there is a "select shipping method" when in Australia you only get the one choice - for Americans they have a choice of four options!] 

image.thumb.png.bbe501f6d51e00719ae9f89058ef0886.png

I only use my hand size as a guide to bras - Funny how your hands shrink as you get older. :laughing:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

It should be $85.23.  So Blurb [the printer] tells me. The new book is available through me now. It will take maybe a few more weeks to become listed on the book networks. [I will cringe when I see the markup the distributors charge - as others who sell their books can attest the author gets very very little for each book sold for me it is $2. So with a limited number of sales it is not something to make any money!] [I don't know why there is a "select shipping method" when in Australia you only get the one choice - for Americans they have a choice of four options!] 

image.thumb.png.bbe501f6d51e00719ae9f89058ef0886.png

I only use my hand size as a guide to bras - Funny how your hands shrink as you get older. :laughing:

Ok, so how to pay you ?

thx

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Shuko said:

Ok, so how to pay you ?

You can PM [personal message] me and if you have a Paypal account you can forward the funds via my email address.  centurianaja@gmail.com 

Shipping fees and exchange rates vary with each country so it is best to contact me first before sending any money.  As an example the shipping alone within America [of the three books] cost close to $18 but the same books at the same prices cost over $80 just for shipping to New Zealand - from my place that is "just across the ditch" not half way around the world, but the printer is not set up in every country so sometimes distance really matters. The Publisher/printer has some strange rules at times, I have to pay express rates even though I would not mind waiting a few days and paying less - other countries sometimes have the same express or expedited shipping fees whilst others can have "economy" rates - why is beyond my pay grade!

[By the way shipping for me of just one of my own books is $16]

I forgot to mention there is sometimes Tax added in the total price - you might note the GST [Goods & Services Tax] in the Australian invoice above but some other countries also have state taxes which also complicates the prices and makes them different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. One I just sent off to America has LA State Tax (4.45% tax rate) added into the cost - what other states charge may be different.:dunno:

Edited by Spartancrest
Added taxes

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend the new book to anyone with an interest in collecting tsuba and tsuba history.

As my library is relatively new I also bought the other 2 books and have many months of reading ahead of me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks very much Clive. 

I noticed the book is now listed on some other sites - but not very impressed.

https://booksdirect....ok_9798331168889.htm   RRP $131.00     

What a joke with the prices! I will be lucky to sell any at those prices!

https://www.magersan...RTICLES-FOR/26872288 more reasonable but who can find them?

Really there is no incentive to do books, the middlemen make money from it but that is all. I am not bitching about book sales [I could care less] but about how others are really ripping off the general public.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have to report the first "review" of the new book.   

Amazon Book Review

Reviewed in the United States on 17 July 2024

"A lot of work went into the book but in heavens name why are the pictures in black & white? Much of the detail and beauty of the tsubas is lost without color photos."

Well two things 1. The images were originally in B&W and date from around 120 years ago - so should I have used AI to colour them? [It is a historical record not a coffee table book!]

2. There is no 's' on the end of "tsuba" :laughing: 

There is always the option to return the book to Amazon - they have a thirty day policy and I quite like the idea that they don't get to make their exorbitant profit. :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2