Iron jingasa mon help

lonely panet

It's a jumbled semi-literal translation of the Japanese name for the crest.

The square figure resembles a nail-pulling tool, so the crest is called "two nail-pullers in a circle. 

Sometimes it can become quite tricky with mon. Especially if we dealing with similar forms. Like Steve said, it coud be "丸に違い釘抜" or "陰丸に違い釘抜" (Maru ni chigai kuginuki or Kage maru ni chigai kuginuki). On the other hand, it is also possible that we have "丸に違い角" (Maru ni chigai kado, i.e. two interlinking squares in a ring).

In cas of kage kuginuki, we have 小田 Oda to consider.

In case of kado, 石坂 Ishisaka or 石塚 Ishitsuka comes to mind...

Please note, it is almost impossible to pin down a mon to a certain family without additional informations besides the crest (Kamon/ Jomon) itself!

In Lonely Panet’s link above, the English itself is garbled. Instead of ‘Marunichiga Iginuki’ it should say: ‘Maru ni Chigai (kugi)Nuki’. (=Crossed nail plates in a circle).
The linked site explains the origins of ‘nail puller’, also that although similar the central hole of the kuginuki is slightly larger than that of the me-yui Mon.

• Like 2

It says that nails were L-shaped and were designed for reuse. (I’m thinking castle gates here.) These were hammered in through a metal base plate; later, with the use of levers this plate was prised(prized) up, designed to help pull out the ‘nail’.

I have also heard that the word is auspicious because ‘kugi’ sounds like 九城 ‘kuki’ or nine castles, and nuki is pulling out (capturing).

• Like 1