"Old" wakizashi

Hello all. I finally received this wakizashi from Japan. Yes, it has a mei. Mei/gimei...I take it with a grain of salt. I do love the style of the blade though. As an added note, sometimes mumei nihontou are so much more...well less stressful. LOL

ScreenHunter 136.png

ScreenHunter 134.png

ScreenHunter 135.png

20240614_162626.jpg

20240614_162648.jpg

ScreenHunter 132.png

• Thanks 1

Hi Henry,

IMHO - You have a seemingly nice sword, old Nakago and a blade that has seen several polish and with a Mei (name and date) that belongs to a smith of renown with a seemingly corresponding date - within his active period (year 1364 - if I’m reading Ray correct?) imported directly from Japan but without any “trusted” Origami. That could suggest something that is not in line.

I think that only a Shinsa can give you any more clues or confirmation as to your questions.

All the best.

/Soren

On 6/16/2024 at 1:13 AM, Grevedk said:

Hi Henry,

IMHO - You have a seemingly nice sword, old Nakago and a blade that has seen several polish and with a Mei (name and date) that belongs to a smith of renown with a seemingly corresponding date - within his active period (year 1364 - if I’m reading Ray correct?) imported directly from Japan but without any “trusted” Origami. That could suggest something that is not in line.

I think that only a Shinsa can give you any more clues or confirmation as to your questions.

All the best.

/Soren

If it came from Japan it might've already seen a shinsa and been denied papers. I've not personally sent a sword to shinsa but I've heard that if a sword is in Japan it is a relatively simple process. I agree with your assessment that something is likely off, or it would already have papers. The OP's determination of gimei might be correct since IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong) the NBTHK typically doesn't issue papers for gimei blades.

I would think similarily to Kirill that late Muromachi Shimada would a direction worth looking into. Impossible to say anything from those pictures but that would be what I would look over Nanbokuchō Sōshū.