Interesting sword on auction in Japan

The auction says that this auction is blocked but Jauce states it can be shipped internationally. 

Could someone from the US bid on an item like this without issues? Or would you need an intermediary?

You can request Jauce unblock the auction(you need an account for this). So you don't need an intermediary. They just ask you to agree pay a 20,000 yen fee if you win and for your location for import/customs purposes. I told them the state I'm in, but just mentioning the country your in would probably work just fine. 

3 minutes ago, Ilovekatana said:

You can request Jauce unblock the auction(you need an account for this). So you don't need an intermediary. They just ask you to agree pay a 20,000 yen fee if you win and for your location for import/customs purposes. I told them the state I'm in, but just mentioning the country your in would probably work just fine. 

Thanks. I've got an account and have requested them to unlock auctions for me. I've never used Jauce before so I'm learning how it works. 

This will likely go well over my set aside budget for my first nihonto anyways. But a beautiful sword nonetheless that will be interesting to see how high it goes.

2 minutes ago, Ilovekatana said:

Good luck on picking out a sword. Yahoo Auctions Japan is a minefield.

It's highly unlikely my first purchase will be done online. However, when a sword like the one in the OP comes up, it may be one of the rare exceptions. I'll likely hold out for my trip to Japan in October to make a purchase. 

• Like 1

I tried to bid on this. Jauce is very annoying because they force you to have the bid amount in your account when you bid, but PayPal blocked me from sending that amount to Jauce because it was over the arbitrarily determined and hidden limit. Very frustrated. 

4 hours ago, Gerry said:

I think the price wasn't higher probably because of the lack of NBTHK papers.

But the documentation in the Yumei Koto Taikan certainly helps alleviate some of the issues with no-paper swords I would think.

I was trying to get my Jauce account activated but alas it wasn't approved in time.

Another question regarding Jauce is, they have about a $500 transaction fee for a sword of this price, if you choose to refund, I imagine that is lost? Meaning I'd have to have that money in Jauce to bid on something in the future in the case of losing the bid on the item you wanted? 

Might be the pictures or my limited understanding but I dont find that blade very appealing to me. When I look at it I just keep looking at the horimono.

While I dont have deep knowledge of the school, I have seen many Masashige works with what I feel is much higher quality.

For me the size of this is a definate big + and combined with horimono it is nice combination. Still I feel I personally might rather enjoy shorter blades of what I see as better quality of Masashige more than this long one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..