Newest Samurai/Military Sword Purchase

Hey! I have a strong background on the sword already, circa 1680, indicates ties to a Major to Colonel ranking officer & ties to a samurai family emblem/clan (as seen in the images - silver emblem on the top mount) the swordsmith was translated to be Fujiwara Tsonayuki, as well as an element of the translation saying Kanji. Just after anymore information or conflicting opinions if you have any! As well as any further translation & valuation.

Thank you in advance :)

IMG_1918.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1920.jpeg

IMG_1921.jpeg

IMG_1922.jpeg

IMG_1923.jpeg

IMG_1927.jpeg

IMG_1928.jpeg

IMG_1929.jpeg

IMG_1930.jpeg

• Like 2

Myles, the reading should be 藤原綱行 - Fujiwara Tsunayuki. This is a Bungo Takada (Fujiwara Takada) blade, and is a suriage (shortened) blade from Shinto times (early part of the Edo period).

Unsure what is mean by this: "an element of the translation saying Kanji"

• Like 2

I believe so yes, My main aim it the emblem/silver badge located on the top mount, what clan/family this belongs to so I can ascertain more history on the piece, Very happy with it overall - & what is advised to care for the blade, valuations etc anything there is I need to know really as I’m relatively new to the samurai sword world so far :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, thank you for sharing!! My most recent purchase was at the San Francisco show in August 2021. Two babies since then has limited the buying ;) 

But that sword was also a Bungoto made by the Takada line. Ha ha, you’ve literally bought the sword I’m  hoping to buy next - another Takada Bungoto in Gunto furniture. I’m jealous! Thanks again for sharing.