Please give your thoughts

Ron M

Hello to you who respond to my query.

a hypothetical question:

if you found a wakizashi, and the nakago indicates that it was cut down by a smith and then he re-signed it as such stating he did the suriage, but the blades hamon (that is a match for the original maker) has several hagire in the choji features….what do you think happened?? (Hypothetically, let’s say the signature of the smith who did the suriage is a famous smith himself). 

Any thoughts are welcome and thank you 

Hagire would not seem to be related, a hagire can happen at any time (for example, damage from impact at a later point in time).  I would not make a connection between the two separate situations:

• The blade was shortened and documented by the smith who did the work
  • At some point, the blade sustained damage resulting in a hagire

Thank you for the responses.

Well, hypothetically, if there is a hagire in EVERY single one of the choji parts of the hamon then I am trying to understand how that particular thing would have happened…so someone just beat the Christmas out of it?? Or did TIME do its damage? It just seems odd if ALL of them have a break. 
 I am utterly trying to understand a situation where the entire swords’ hamon becomes brittle and all of its main characteristics seem to have failed all at the same time.

Regards 

HAGIRE over the full length of the YAKIBA if I understand correctly? That would be very rare, and I would like to see that.

Generally, HAGIRE are the result of tension in the metallic structure. Tension comes up in the differential hardening process, and HAGIRE are often seen immediately after YAKIIRE, but may even show up much later in time when and if the blade is exposed to mechanical stress. 

• Like 2