Nihonto Buyer's cheklist

Good day everyone, If you were to create a checklist for buying a Nihonto, what essential dos and don'ts would it include? I'm looking for a simple, concise guide that covers the very basics things a beginner should avoid.

Additionally, what mistakes did you make when you first started that you realize now, years later (That everyone should know)? Thanks in advance for your help and input.

Best,

Victor

Check the FAQ above, for some decent tips.
Don't have time to write much, but am sure others will chime in.
DON'T buy without asking people who know, if you are unsure about something. Run it past some collectors.
DON'T start off on eBay.
Decide if you want an antique sword, a wartime one, a katana or a wakizashi.

Don't get fixated on age. Age doesn't equal quality.
Buy something in decent enough polish to appreciate. Project blades usually stay that way forever.

Buy the sword, not the signature. Treat the signature as a bonus, and as likely gimei if it doesn't have papers.
Buy one good sword instead of multiple cheaper ones.
Bad flaws will only bother you more and more over time. Buy the best condition you can afford. Treasure hunting is for suckers.

Fittings are nice to have, but a good sword in shirasaya is better than a poor sword in mediocre koshirae.
Don't RUSH. The right sword will come along. Be patient.

Let's see what else others have to offer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Brian said:

Check the FAQ above, for some decent tips.
Don't have time to write much, but am sure others will chime in.
DON'T buy without asking people who know, if you are unsure about something. Run it past some collectors.
DON'T start off on eBay.
Decide if you want an antique sword, a wartime one, a katana or a wakizashi.

Don't get fixated on age. Age doesn't equal quality.
Buy something in decent enough polish to appreciate. Project blades usually stay that way forever.

Buy the sword, not the signature. Treat the signature as a bonus, and as likely gimei if it doesn't have papers.
Bad flaws will only bother you more and more over time. Buy the best condition you can afford. Treasure hunting is for suckers.

Fittings are nice to have, but a good sword in shirasaya is better than a poor sword in mediocre koshirae.
Don't RUSH. The right sword will come along. Be patient.

Let's see what else others have to offer.

That’s already a very good start Brian, thanks a lot! I appreciate you taking the time to put down some valuable things. 

3 hours ago, VRGC said:

a very good

Victor:

I would add to figure out what your goals/interests are e.g., militaria, samurai, craftsmanship of the steel, Japanese art, etc. This may point you in a direction for further study. In addition, figure out a budget. This is not a cheap hobby, depending what your goals are.

John C.

• Like 1

Why are you buying, Victor? Are you buying as a collector, or for a business chance? The hints will be completely different depending on your answer here.

If you are buying without studying first, you are always taking a big risk.

Does the blade entertain you?

Having a shirasaya is good, but if you later decide you want to have a proper koshirae to complement it, you'll have various problems.

It is much cheaper and easier to make a shirasaya for a blade in koshirae than the other way round.

Paperwork is relatively meaningless until you come to potentially selling your blade. 

Study the types and levels of certificates out there, and the differences between genuine and fakes, both old and new.

Flaws in blades come in all varieties, can be really tiny and easy to overlook. How confident do you feel?

Spend time with dealers and get to know the ones you can trust. This may save you much heartache.

Go back and think about what Brian and the others above have said. Read the lists before breakfast every day.

These are some of the fruits of my time around Nihonto.

Remember, you'll never get it right 100% of the time. Are you strong enough to bite the occasional bullet?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, VRGC said:

Good day everyone, If you were to create a checklist for buying a Nihonto, what essential dos and don'ts would it include?

Collecting nihontō – what, how, and who? by C.U. Guido Schiller

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/45691-need-expertise-and-advise-please/?do=findComment&comment=473503

Regards

• Like 3

The reality is a lot of folks will never get a chance to buy a sword "in hand" for many reasons. Though im not saying that is not the ideal way to buy a sword, of course it is.

Scarcity being one of the reasons. Take the UK as an example and compare what's available here compared to online in Japan or the US. There is no comparison and prices at the main dealer here seem sky high and none of the blades have papers, the least said about the quality of polish the better.. You could wait forever for a blade by your favourite smith to come on the market here.

Many of us don't have the luxury of taking expensive trips to Japan to view swords in hand, buying swords is expensive enough.

You have to ask dealers about condition and ask for more images if necessary. If any dealer declines your requests then walk away as it is possible they are hiding something. 

Bought quite a few blades from Japan and only ever sent one back, even though the dealer said no returns. Rust marks in the bo-hi which were very difficult to see in images, though i should have asked, live and learn.

Would also state that if you don't know what you are buying, you will never truly appreciate it. Dont just buy for the sake of owning a sword, learn what appeals to you, then buy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Brian said:

Bad flaws will only bother you more and more over time. Buy the best condition you can afford.

Building on what Brian posted,

I don't want to use the term "project blade" but many of us started with a cheap priced blade that we have these ideas of saving with a polish. <-- without knowing what a TRUE polish entails or if it is even worth a polish.

At one time I had 15-20 cheap blades that all needed polish, or had missing fittings, needed a tsuka re-wrap or replacement. All were blades that I could afford at the time and none were really "keepers" or something to be proud of.

Bad flaws will only bother you more and more over time. Buy the best condition you can afford.

As I learned more about Nihonto, flaws were something I could not overlook. As a beginning collector I would often say to myself that "It's a nice blade except that one blister (fukure) or that one split (kizu)" My eyes were able to look past the flaws, back then. Now my eyes are drawn to the flaws and cannot look past them! Think of it in terms of a woman. She has a great body and a cute face, except for her big nose. A young guy may be ok with her for a short time. As you get older, you want the total package and cannot look past the giant nose.

Wishing you all the best!

Dan

• Like 2

Hello Victor,

As a Dutch collector myself, getting blades into the Netherlands from Japan can be quite a tricky business. I would advise buying from Japan or a non-ebay seller in the US, there can also be some gems among collectors here in the Netherlands. If you want a good idea of what dealers can offer here in the Netherlands, then there will be an event this weekend in Utrecht, including dealers and lecturers. I will be visiting myself for the first time as well. 

I would also like to suggest applying for the Dutch Token vereniging, they have 4 meetings a year and many events that you can visit to learn about Nihonto. Overall choosing the blade you want to buy really depends on preference, but I would recommend starting with reading books.

Message me if you need any help with collecting Nihonto here in the Netherlands, or if you want some hands-on experience with samurai swords.

Links for Token vereniging and Utrecht event:

http://www.to-ken.nl/mainFrame.htm (Next meeting 23rd of June)

https://www.japanartexpo.com/ 7-9th of June

Greetings/Groetjes,

Lex van der Jagt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shodan said:

I started by going to a sword show. I was able to meet top sword dealer. Ask question. Buy books.

Going to the Japan Art Expo in Utrecht, I believe one of the few in Europe (maybe the only one). They have talks/presentations,  some nihonto, experts in the field and other Japanese antique. I looking forward to it! 

15 hours ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Why are you buying, Victor? Are you buying as a collector, or for a business chance? The hints will be completely different depending on your answer here.

If you are buying without studying first, you are always taking a big risk.

Does the blade entertain you?

Having a shirasaya is good, but if you later decide you want to have a proper koshirae to complement it, you'll have various problems.

It is much cheaper and easier to make a shirasaya for a blade in koshirae than the other way round.

Paperwork is relatively meaningless until you come to potentially selling your blade. 

Study the types and levels of certificates out there, and the differences between genuine and fakes, both old and new.

Flaws in blades come in all varieties, can be really tiny and easy to overlook. How confident do you feel?

Spend time with dealers and get to know the ones you can trust. This may save you much heartache.

Go back and think about what Brian and the others above have said. Read the lists before breakfast every day.

These are some of the fruits of my time around Nihonto.

Remember, you'll never get it right 100% of the time. Are you strong enough to bite the occasional bullet?

Hi, which list, maybe I missed it in all the comments.

I mean strong enough to bite the occasional bullet definilty but I suppose it depends how big the bullet is each time… hopefully smaller as time goes by ;) 

thanks 

3 hours ago, Lexvdjagt said:

Hello Victor,

As a Dutch collector myself, getting blades into the Netherlands from Japan can be quite a tricky business. I would advise buying from Japan or a non-ebay seller in the US, there can also be some gems among collectors here in the Netherlands. If you want a good idea of what dealers can offer here in the Netherlands, then there will be an event this weekend in Utrecht, including dealers and lecturers. I will be visiting myself for the first time as well. 

I would also like to suggest applying for the Dutch Token vereniging, they have 4 meetings a year and many events that you can visit to learn about Nihonto. Overall choosing the blade you want to buy really depends on preference, but I would recommend starting with reading books.

Message me if you need any help with collecting Nihonto here in the Netherlands, or if you want some hands-on experience with samurai swords.

Links for Token vereniging and Utrecht event:

http://www.to-ken.nl/mainFrame.htm (Next meeting 23rd of June)

https://www.japanartexpo.com/ 7-9th of June

Greetings/Groetjes,

Lex van der Jagt

Hey Lex, interesting to have a Dutch perspective on Nihonto. 

I will be at the event in Utrech this weekend, I have booked tickets some time ago now.

Alright, I have not heard of Dutch Token vereniging. Will check it out, I will keep you in mind for anything nihonto Netherlands ;) 

• Like 1