Hello from Canada

Hello everyone, 

I meant to post this under new members topic and created new in error. But just happy to be here. :-)

I am new to this forum but I've been checking and looking to posts here for a while. 

I decided it's time to join and give my share here and ask for help. 

I always liked Japan and Japanese history that being that I trained karate when I was younger and started collecting Japanese antiques and mostly Japanese swords for past 20 years plus. 

I have a nice collection and been also trying my stuff at restoration and polishing but that's a long road. :-)

Anyway just saying hi and hope I can learn more on these forums and maybe with luck increase or sell some of my collection to good new owners.

Thank you.

Roman F. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, samurai7202 said:

trying my stuff at restoration and polishing

Woah woah woah, from the way you're saying it, it sounds like you are polishing yourself.

No offense I just hope that's not the case, it couldn't just ruin the value of the blade it will. Togishi are highly respected and few in number for a reason.

However on that collection, feel free to showcase it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, samurai7202 said:

I have a nice collection and been also trying my stuff at restoration and polishing but that's a long road.

Hi Roman, welcome.

Just to clear the air..... are you saying that you intend to 'polish' Japanese blades?

Rob

I've been only practicing on some old rusty blades that are worn down, damaged old pieces. 

I've been showed some stuff by Doug Blaine when he was still in Ontario long time ago. But since my hand injury not anymore. 

2 hours ago, samurai7202 said:

I've been only practicing on some old rusty blades that are worn down, damaged old pieces. 

I've been showed some stuff by Doug Blaine when he was still in Ontario long time ago. But since my hand injury not anymore. 

I will say, that most if not all people here are pretty opposed to any attempts at restoration of any traditionally made Japanese sword. Even those that are rusted. There might be a very rare exception on a blade that is actually worthless (multiple fatal flaws, retempered, broken/damaged beyond repair, etc.) that may not draw the ire of the membership here, but there are too many examples of some guy trying to polish up the sword his grandpa brought back from WW2 only to ruin a 200+ year old of beautiful history in their attempts. It's happened a few times already in the very short time I've been here and on the FB nihonto groups I'm in.  If you look at a polisher's page like David Hofhine, you'll see VERY rusty blades brought back to an incredible blade. So many swords are not "too far gone" like many amateurs may believe.

Remember that becoming a properly trained polisher (Togishi) is a +/- 7 year commitment under the apprenticeship of a master. It's as fine of an art in many respects as the actual forging of nihonto. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi Roman,

There are several member on this board from Canada. Where in Canada are you located? Toronto has a very active Token Kai located at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre. There is a meeting next this coming weekend, Saturday, June 8 at 12:30 pm. I won’t be able to attend, but visitors are more than welcome.