Matchlock converted to percussion gun

Hello, 

I am new to this forum but I've been looking thru threads before. 

I acquired a tanegashima a while back from Japan and unfortunately need to sell it due to certain financial issues. 

I would like to get some help with the info on it as I was told it's a matchlock converted to percussion gun.

Also would need some help with the translation on the signature on the barrel. 

I recognize some Kanji, possibly Toshi not sure on the rest. 

Let me know if I need to post under the translation help forum. 

Thank you for any help I receive on the info. Please, see pictures. 

matchlock5.thumb.jpg.3517cbd738dfd6f03d453fc8fbee1a82.jpg

matchlock.jpg

matchlock 2.jpg

matchlock 3.jpg

matchlock 4.jpg

matchlock 6.jpg

matchlock 7.jpg

• Like 2

土州住吉岡利政, with an old Kanji character 邱 丘 (?)for Oka (hill).

"Do-shu ju Yoshioka Toshimasa", a listed smith. (Yoshioka Toshimasa, living in the old Han region of Tosa)

The cutout for the pan looks too small to have been originally for a matchlock, so rather than a conversion, this may be a later-generation original percussion gun from the late Bakumatsu.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thank you very much, Piers D. Appreciate the help with identifying the signature. I have some more info on swordsmiths but not sure if the gun makers are different from those.

We did have it appraised a while back by a Japanese antiques appraiser and he said it's a matchlock conversion. 

I can send more pics from under the barrel if needed. 

But I appreciate any help with this. 

Compared to the huge knowledge base of Japanese swords, little is known about gunsmiths, and smith name lists are very rare.

As to 'conversions', Roman, most appraisers and dealers are not aware of the very slight difference.

There were two types of these, and at the new Nagoya 'Touken World' you can see a rack of each. The first are originally matchlocks, and there is a long shallow cutout in the right rim of the stock for the pan and lid. Conversions usually have the remnants of this long cutout, which is no longer necessary. Has yours had a later plug of wood fitted in there?

Then there is the type that is to all intents using a tradionally-made matchlock stock and barrel, by the same smiths, except made solely for a percussion lock system. The cutout there is only large enough to take the nipple surround.

Your pictures are rather dark, but from what I can see the latter looks the more likely candidate. It's a small difference, I agree.

In my experience there are matchlock purists, who attempt to reduce a percussion gun's working parts back into a matchlock, so to such people this difference would be meaningful. History buffs might also enjoy seeing the evidence of overlap, two phases of Japanese gun history. In general though, it's horses for courses. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Piers, appreciate the help with explaining this to me. 

I have a question too. I have someone interested in buying the gun. the buyer is from Vietnam. How is it with exporting a vintage gun like this outside. Does the firearm import, export bylaw work for these or is considered antique as it's over 150 years old. Does anyone know if Vietnam can import antique guns like this? 

Let me know if you know the answer to this. 

Roman F.

Roman, there are some Canadian members here. Perhaps if you post the question in another suitable discussion corner you might get a better answer. 

Just had a look around, so how about Brian’s sticky link here?

(can’t post the link…)

Importing/Exporting and Customs queries and advice“

Good 🍀 luck!