Help me choose a 98!

Hi all,

After buying a Type 95 I have caught the bug! Looking to buy a Type 94 or 98 next.

These are the ones on offer to me, I have run them past Bruce already. 

No other pics unfortunately, what do you think/what would you pick?

Any help appreciated!

Adam

sword1.jpg

Sword2.jpg

Sword3.jpg

Sword4.jpg

Like Adam said, he has my thoughts already.  My main concern would be buying any sword without more information, unless the price is so cheap that it wouldn't matter how they actually turn out.  For the record, I do like #2 because of the saya color and Field grade tassel.  #3 is nice looking too.

1 hour ago, Banton989 said:

53.5cm cutting edge, wakazashi in gunto mounts

Right at the limit. Donated/family swords had to be a minimum of 21.5 inches. Some so called "crew/tanker" swords were this small.

John C.

Honestly it’s impossible to tell you much from these images. It looks like an old blade that has been shortened and carried in WW2. Personally I struggle to see any trace of a Mei and if it has been shortened then much, if not all of any Mei could  be lost. These images could be hiding something really nasty like hagire (crack through the hamon), forging or hardening flaws. Can’t even be sure it has a hamon at all. 

Even the kamon could be added for effect rather than be genuinely period. The two kamon are different!
Asking us to judge a sword from these images is not going to give you anything reliable.

Its a crap shoot if you buy it - so much could depend on if you know and trust the seller and if the seller knows what he’s talking about.

1 hour ago, Matsunoki said:

Honestly it’s impossible to tell you much from these images. It looks like an old blade that has been shortened and carried in WW2. Personally I struggle to see any trace of a Mei and if it has been shortened then much, if not all of any Mei could  be lost. These images could be hiding something really nasty like hagire (crack through the hamon), forging or hardening flaws. Can’t even be sure it has a hamon at all. 

Even the kamon could be added for effect rather than be genuinely period. The two kamon are different!
Asking us to judge a sword from these images is not going to give you anything reliable.

Its a crap shoot if you buy it - so much could depend on if you know and trust the seller and if the seller knows what he’s talking about.

That is a very fair point, apologies for my newness to the whole thing.

In England where I live the choice of items to buy is a lot less, our Ebay for example dosen't allow edged weapons.

I would much prefer to buy something I know more about. Perhaps a WTB post on this forum would be the better way to go.

Thankyou all for your help and patience so far.

Adam

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Banton989 said:

n England where I live the choice of items to buy is a lot less, our Ebay for example dosen't allow edged weapons.

I live in England also but with patience and contacts there are many ww2 swords available. Try a WTB post but until you are confident I’d avoid eBay and buy from someone you can trust.  And handle the swords first. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Banton989 said:

That one I posted above was on JCmilitaria

I’ve dealt with John, he’s fine and uses Bill Tagg as a consultant. Have you got his usual full description?

But, do you want a shortened old sword or would you prefer a normal shingunto? 
Make sure you buy what you really want rather than buy what happens to be in front of you.

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Matsunoki said:

I’ve dealt with John, he’s fine and uses Bill Tagg as a consultant. Have you got his usual full description?

But, do you want a shortened old sword or would you prefer a normal shingunto? 
Make sure you buy what you really want rather than buy what happens to be in front of you.

You are right. I'd ideally like a normal shingunto. I shall learn patience!

Hi Adam, 

Colin and John are so right.  Read Colin's posts again before you go to bed tonight.

John Carlin and Bill Tagg are very reputable and great to deal with BUT as Colin said, buy what you want, not what is in front of you. 

Bridle your passions....for a day, or week, or month or two at least ......  (from my reading that would be about your limit before you explode :)

If its WW2 your after, look at 94's, 98's and don't forget 97's because you just might get a real bug for those later. WW2 blades in gunto koshirae.......old blades in gunto koshirae...there is a difference.   Take time and familiarise yourself with what's out there, ask yourself why the (sold) prices are different and importantly, prior to purchasing anything, be in some sort of position to be able to say "for me, that is worth $xxxx".

Look and research a lot..... ask a lot of questions, then buy your first.

It is exciting.....good luck.

Rob

• Like 4
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, robinalexander said:

Hi Adam, 

Colin and John are so right.  Read Colin's posts again before you go to bed tonight.

John Carlin and Bill Tagg are very reputable and great to deal with BUT as Colin said, buy what you want, not what is in front of you. 

Bridle your passions....for a day, or week, or month or two at least ......  (from my reading that would be about your limit before you explode :)

If its WW2 your after, look at 94's, 98's and don't forget 97's because you just might get a real bug for those later. WW2 blades in gunto koshirae.......old blades in gunto koshirae...there is a difference.   Take time and familiarise yourself with what's out there, ask yourself why the (sold) prices are different and importantly, prior to purchasing anything, be in some sort of position to be able to say "for me, that is worth $xxxx".

Look and research a lot..... ask a lot of questions, then buy your first.

It is exciting.....good luck.

Rob

Bloody love this advice thankyou, I do tend to jump into things. 

I'm trying to learn as much as I can, I think I have read every post in the Military Sword section on here so far lol.

Yes WW2 era is my main interest, the bug has bitten.

Thank you all for putting up with a newbie, and thank you all for your help and guidance so far 🙏.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robinalexander said:

If its WW2 your after, look at 94's, 98's and don't forget 97's because you just might get a real bug for those later. WW2 blades in gunto koshirae.......old blades in gunto koshirae...there is a difference.

Same happened to me. I got a 97 with a nice same' covered saya. Then got into the Navy kyuguntos with family blades. Seems to be my favorite style, at the moment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..